* Export of subtree does not include header
@ 2013-01-18 10:35 Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen
From: Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen @ 2013-01-18 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I have used orgmode for a while, but hasn't used any of its advanced
features that much. I'm currently writing a minutes report and what to
export a specific subtree, e.g.

* Minutes from <2013-01-11>

* Minutes from <2013-01-18>    <--- Want to export this only

Then I press C-c @, which marks the subtree, and then I press C-c C-e
and export it as a pdf-document.

The problem is that I want the top section to remain the same, i.e. "Minutes from
<2013-01-18>" is the top section and the others to be subsection of
that.

Currently, it surely exports the right subtree but the top-section is
not "Minutes from <2013-01-18>", but the bullet after that.

* Re: Export of subtree does not include header
@ 2013-01-23  4:43 ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-01-23  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen
<soren@aamikkelsen.dk> wrote:
> I have used orgmode for a while, but hasn't used any of its advanced
> features that much. I'm currently writing a minutes report and what to
> export a specific subtree, e.g.
>
> * Minutes from <2013-01-11>
>
> * Minutes from <2013-01-18>    <--- Want to export this only
>
> Then I press C-c @, which marks the subtree, and then I press C-c C-e
> and export it as a pdf-document.
>
> The problem is that I want the top section to remain the same, i.e. "Minutes from
> <2013-01-18>" is the top section and the others to be subsection of
> that.
>
> Currently, it surely exports the right subtree but the top-section is
> not "Minutes from <2013-01-18>", but the bullet after that.

I get the same behavior. Does it need to export it in a "tree" like
format, or would you be okay with your top level headline (the one you
want exported, but which is currently not) being the actual title of
the document? Or is that what you're currently getting.

With default settings (org-export-latex-title-command "\\maketitle"),
I get the top-most headline of the marked subtree as my document title
and the next level headline as the first section. Is this what you're
getting, or the top headline text isn't showing up in the document at
all?

If having it as the title would work, you would get:
----------
[centered]Minutes from <2013-01-18>[centered]

A bit of white space

Any text directly under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>"...

[section] The first headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
text under that headline

[section 2] The second headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
text under that headline
----------

If it's just the centered text/bit white space gap you don't like, I'm
sure there's LaTeX header arguments you could put in your Org document
or setupfile to left-align the title and remove the space. What do you
think of that option?

Also... just to save you *one* keystroke,  you can put your cursor on
the headline of interest and do =C-e 1 p=, which I think does the same
as marking the whole subtree with =C-c @ C-e p=.

John

* Re: Export of subtree does not include header
@ 2013-01-24 13:55   ` Søren Mikkelsen
From: Søren Mikkelsen @ 2013-01-24 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen
> <soren@aamikkelsen.dk> wrote:
>> I have used orgmode for a while, but hasn't used any of its advanced
>> features that much. I'm currently writing a minutes report and what to
>> export a specific subtree, e.g.
>>
>> * Minutes from <2013-01-11>
>>
>> * Minutes from <2013-01-18>    <--- Want to export this only
>>
>> Then I press C-c @, which marks the subtree, and then I press C-c C-e
>> and export it as a pdf-document.
>>
>> The problem is that I want the top section to remain the same, i.e. "Minutes from
>> <2013-01-18>" is the top section and the others to be subsection of
>> that.
>>
>> Currently, it surely exports the right subtree but the top-section is
>> not "Minutes from <2013-01-18>", but the bullet after that.
>
> I get the same behavior. Does it need to export it in a "tree" like
> format, or would you be okay with your top level headline (the one you
> want exported, but which is currently not) being the actual title of
> the document? Or is that what you're currently getting.

This is what I'm currently getting. I want to have a document with all my
minutes and my idea is, that I should be able to export one heading for
each meeting, so I can prepare an agenda and afterwards fill in the
outcome of the discussions.

> With default settings (org-export-latex-title-command "\\maketitle"),
> I get the top-most headline of the marked subtree as my document title
> and the next level headline as the first section. Is this what you're
> getting, or the top headline text isn't showing up in the document at
> all?

Yes, I get the same result. I don't want subsections to be promoted to
sections when I export the org-markup. Is that possible?

> If having it as the title would work, you would get:
> ----------
> [centered]Minutes from <2013-01-18>[centered]
>
> A bit of white space
>
> Any text directly under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>"...
>
> [section] The first headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
> text under that headline
>
> [section 2] The second headline under "Minutes from <2013-01-18>" [section]
> text under that headline
> ----------
>
> If it's just the centered text/bit white space gap you don't like, I'm
> sure there's LaTeX header arguments you could put in your Org document
> or setupfile to left-align the title and remove the space. What do you
> think of that option?
>
> Also... just to save you *one* keystroke,  you can put your cursor on
> the headline of interest and do =C-e 1 p=, which I think does the same
> as marking the whole subtree with =C-c @ C-e p=.
>

> John

Thanks for the keystroke advice. Love a bit of emacs-hints :)

* Re: Export of subtree does not include header
@ 2013-01-25 23:38     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2013-01-25 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Søren Mikkelsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Søren Mikkelsen <soren@aamikkelsen.dk> wrote:
> John Hendy <jw.hendy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 4:35 AM, Søren Aagaard Mikkelsen
>> <soren@aamikkelsen.dk> wrote:
>>> I have used orgmode for a while, but hasn't used any of its advanced
>>> features that much. I'm currently writing a minutes report and what to
>>> export a specific subtree, e.g.
>>>
>>> * Minutes from <2013-01-11>
>>>
>>> * Minutes from <2013-01-18>    <--- Want to export this only
>>>
>>> Then I press C-c @, which marks the subtree, and then I press C-c C-e
>>> and export it as a pdf-document.
>>>
>>> The problem is that I want the top section to remain the same, i.e. "Minutes from
>>> <2013-01-18>" is the top section and the others to be subsection of
>>> that.
>>>
>>> Currently, it surely exports the right subtree but the top-section is
>>> not "Minutes from <2013-01-18>", but the bullet after that.
>>
>> I get the same behavior. Does it need to export it in a "tree" like
>> format, or would you be okay with your top level headline (the one you
>> want exported, but which is currently not) being the actual title of
>> the document? Or is that what you're currently getting.
>>

> This is what I'm currently getting. I want to have a document with all my
> minutes and my idea is, that I should be able to export one heading for
> each meeting, so I can prepare an agenda and afterwards fill in the
> outcome of the discussions.
>
>> With default settings (org-export-latex-title-command "\\maketitle"),
>> I get the top-most headline of the marked subtree as my document title
>> and the next level headline as the first section. Is this what you're
>> getting, or the top headline text isn't showing up in the document at
>> all?
>
> Yes, I get the same result. I don't want subsections to be promoted to
> sections when I export the org-markup. Is that possible?

So you're kind of getting what you want, it's just that you want the
current title to be left aligned/bold like a section?

Can you explain what you mean by "don't want subsections to be
promoted to sections"?  As in with =#+options: num:t=, with:

#+begin_src org
* first
** second (export this and below)
*** third
#+end_src

You would get:

#+begin_src export
1.1 second
1.1.1 third
#+end_src

As in, does absolute position matter, or are you okay with:

#+begin_src export
1 second
1.1 third
#+end_src

Not sure how to do what you want, but just thinking that more details
might help others chime in about how to get what you want...

John