From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Modifying the Beamer Exporter
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 21:14:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am just starting to dig into using the new exporter for generating
> beamer presentations.
>
> I want to include my collaborators in the header of each org file just
> as I would authors, that is by including a line like
>
> #+COLLABORATORS: Alice & Bob
>
> I've found some limited documentation on modifying the exporter (manual
> section 12.3) and taken a look at ox.el, ox-latex.el, ox-beamer.el, etc.
>
> What I did was:
>   + Create a new backend derived from the beamer one
>     + add COLLABORATORS to its options-alist
>     + set the template (in translate-alist) to one handling collaborators
>
> This works, but before I continued on making other modifications (in a
> similar vein), I wanted to check in with people with a higher level
> understanding.
>
> Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

Maybe, maybe not.  Difficult to say unless you give us a better idea of
what kind of changes you plan on making.

In general, I find it sufficient to add a little bit of LaTeX code to my
org files for most customisations or beamer specific commands.  The
great thing about org is that it is easy to write LaTeX directly when
you need it.  It's only if you wish to address different export targets
that things become more complicated, but that's not what you are doing.

Maybe gives us some idea of what it is you cannot do with ox-beamer and
we can suggest whether what you intend to do is reasonable or not.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.0.3-239-gd316ec