* Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-08 13:30 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-08 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
#+BEGIN_HTML

#+END_HTML

In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually academic
references, is it possible using something like <r to have each and
every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so much
simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.4.2
Registered Linux user 561944

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-08 16:35 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Sharon,

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
> #+BEGIN_HTML
>
> #+END_HTML
>
> In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually academic
> references, is it possible using something like <r to have each and
> every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so much
> simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!

I'm not sure what you mean by

  "done as part of a numbered list"

As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving one item up and
down will renumber the whole list automagically.

Please give more details if this does not reply your question.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-09  3:52   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-09  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
>> In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
>> #+BEGIN_HTML
>>
>> #+END_HTML
>>
>> In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually academic
>> references, is it possible using something like <r to have each and
>> every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so much
>> simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by
>
>   "done as part of a numbered list"
>
> As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving one item up and
> down will renumber the whole list automagically.
>
> Please give more details if this does not reply your question.

Also not sure what you mean, but maybe mark all the things you want to
be list items, and then use "C-c -" to actually make them list items?
Hit that again a few times to cycle through ordered/unordered, etc.

That's my guess.

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-09 20:16     ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-09 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode, boudiccas

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Sharon,
>>
>> Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>>
>>> In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
>>> #+BEGIN_HTML
>>>
>>> #+END_HTML
>>>
>>> In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually
>academic
>>> references, is it possible using something like <r to have each and
>>> every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so
>much
>>> simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by
>>
>>   "done as part of a numbered list"
>>
>> As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving one item up
>and
>> down will renumber the whole list automagically.
>>
>> Please give more details if this does not reply your question.
>
>Also not sure what you mean, but maybe mark all the things you want to
>be list items, and then use "C-c -" to actually make them list items?
>Hit that again a few times to cycle through ordered/unordered, etc.
>
>That's my guess.

Thanks for this, you'll have to bear with me as I have no Internet access atm due to a fault on the line.

This is referring to a academic reference list on a medical journal reference list, where the articles are referenced in the body of the article and then all listed at the end in numbered order as they appear in the article.

What I'm after is some way of auto-numbering a highlighted number of references so that I don't have to number them all by hand.

Sharon.

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-10  3:36       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-01-10  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>
>     Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>
>         Hi Sharon,
>
>         Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
>             In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
>             #+BEGIN_HTML
>
>             #+END_HTML
>
>             In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually academic
>             references, is it possible using something like <r to have each and
>             every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so much
>             simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!
>             I'm not sure what you mean by
>
>             "done as part of a numbered list"
>
>             As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving one item up and
>             down will renumber
>             the whole list automagically.
>
>             Please give more details if this does not reply your question.
>
>         Also not sure what you mean, but maybe mark all the things you want to
>         be list items, and then use "C-c -" to actually make them list items?
>         Hit that again a few times to cycle through ordered/unordered, etc.
>
>         That's my guess.
>

>     Thanks for this, you'll have to bear with me as I have no
>     Internet access atm due to a fault on the line.
>
>     This is referring to a academic reference list on a medical
>     journal reference list, where the articles are referenced in the
>     body of the article and then all listed at the end in numbered
>     order as they appear in the article.
>
>     What I'm after is some way of auto-numbering a highlighted number
>     of references so that I don't have to number them all by hand.

That still sounds to me like you're creating a numbered list from what
is currently just a series of lines and paragraphs. Or else you're
trying to do what org footnotes do: automatically link the numbering
between the in-text references, and the article list at the end. Maybe
try footnotes?

If this isn't right, maybe show us a simple example of the text you've
got, and what you're hoping to do.

Eric

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-11  7:07         ` Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2014-01-11  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode

Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>>
>>     Bastien <bzg@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>         Hi Sharon,
>>
>>         Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:
>>
>>             In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives
>me
>>             #+BEGIN_HTML
>>
>>             #+END_HTML
>>
>>             In the same document I have a list of numbered items,
>actually academic
>>             references, is it possible using something like <r to
>have each and
>>             every one done as part of a numbered list please? It
>would be so much
>>             simpler than going through numbering each and every one
>by hand!
>>             I'm not sure what you mean by
>>
>>             "done as part of a numbered list"
>>
>>             As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving
>one item up and
>>             down will renumber
>>             the whole list automagically.
>>
>>             Please give more details if this does not reply your
>question.
>>
>>         Also not sure what you mean, but maybe mark all the things
>you want to
>>         be list items, and then use "C-c -" to actually make them
>list items?
>>         Hit that again a few times to cycle through
>ordered/unordered, etc.
>>
>>         That's my guess.
>>

>>     Thanks for this, you'll have to bear with me as I have no
>>     Internet access atm due to a fault on the line.
>>
>>     This is referring to a academic reference list on a medical
>>     journal reference list, where the articles are referenced in the
>>     body of the article and then all listed at the end in numbered
>>     order as they appear in the article.
>>
>>     What I'm after is some way of auto-numbering a highlighted number
>>     of references so that I don't have to number them all by hand.
>
>That still sounds to me like you're creating a numbered list from what
>is currently just a series of lines and paragraphs. Or else you're
>trying to do what org footnotes do: automatically link the numbering
>between the in-text references, and the article list at the end. Maybe
>try footnotes?
>
>If this isn't right, maybe show us a simple example of the text you've
>got, and what you're hoping to do.
>
>Eric

I'm attaching 'paste.org' which shows 2 lines of a reference list of 42 items, which I've had to number by hand. What I'm looking for is highlighting the list, press several keys and the list is auto-numbered.

Can it be done please?

Thanks
Sharon.

[-- Attachment #2: paste.org --]
[-- Type: application/vnd.lotus-organizer, Size: 323 bytes --]

* Re: Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
@ 2014-01-11  9:15           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-01-11  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: Eric Abrahamsen, emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@talktalk.net> writes:

> I'm attaching 'paste.org' which shows 2 lines of a reference list of
> 42 items, which I've had to number by hand. What I'm looking for is
> highlighting the list, press several keys and the list is
> auto-numbered.
>
> Can it be done please?

Hit C-c - until the list is renumbered.

--