From: Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>
To: Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com>
Cc: "emacs-orgmode@gnu.org" <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: PATCH -- allow user to set minted style
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 22:24:30 +0200	[thread overview]

Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> writes:

> - The minted style isn't passed as a package option so I'm not sure
> how org-latex-packages-alist helps.

You can add a string at the end of `org-latex-packages-alist' that will
be inserted in the header.

> - Yes, I have been putting it in the headers of my custom classes, but
> it has to follow \usepackage{minted} or I get a LaTeX error, so I wind
> up loading minted even when not using it. Having it as a variable also
> makes it easier to change the style.

I don't think it matters much to load minted even if you don't use it.
Even if it did, you could always define classes with and without minted.
It's a bit troublesome, though, so I suggest to
use #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: instead.

> -Yes, #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA works but there's still the problem of
> failing if you don't use minted for that particular export.

If you don't use minted for a particular export, you don't write
#+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: \usemintedstyle{name} in the first place.

> I think the right analogy if with hyperref/hypersetup, which does have
> support of this style in Org.

Unlike to minted, hyperref is not really optional, as it belongs to
`org-latex-default-packages-alist'. OTOH, minted may not even be
available on the machine. So there's no reason to show the same level of
support.

Anyway, since there is no reliable way to detect if a package will be
required at Org level, this patch cannot work properly.

Note that you can also write a filter that will insert
"\usemintedstyle..." when "\usepackage{minted}" is detected in the
output.

Nicolas Goaziou