* update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-10  8:36 Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-04-10  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode; +Cc: Eric Schulte

Hi all,

I've made an update to ob-clojure.el, which wasn't working for me with
the new cider (the required function was removed).

I haven't looked into 'nrepl or 'slime options for evaluation, is
anyone using them?

Eric, should 'nrepl option be removed as obsolete? And maybe 'slime as well?

regards,
Oleh

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-10  9:44 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-04-10  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode, Eric Schulte

Hello,

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

> I've made an update to ob-clojure.el, which wasn't working for me with
> the new cider (the required function was removed).

As long as we have to support Emacs 23, I think you shouldn't replace
"case" with "cl-case".

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-10 10:53   ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-04-10 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: org mode, Eric Schulte

Hi Nicolas,

>> I've made an update to ob-clojure.el, which wasn't working for me with
>> the new cider (the required function was removed).
>
> As long as we have to support Emacs 23, I think you shouldn't replace
> "case" with "cl-case".

I've reverted it. I'll keep this in mind for future commits, thanks.

regards,
Oleh

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-11 10:04     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-11 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode, Nicolas Goaziou, Eric Schulte

Hi Oleh,

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

>> As long as we have to support Emacs 23, I think you shouldn't replace
>> "case" with "cl-case".
>
> I've reverted it. I'll keep this in mind for future commits, thanks.

Thanks for the patch -- and since we are nitpicking, here is another
one (a famous one I'd say): use double-space for ending sentences in
the Changelog entry :)

--
 Bastien

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-13 15:20 ` Soapy Smith
From: Soapy Smith @ 2014-04-13 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode, Eric Schulte

On Thu, 2014-04-10 at 10:36 +0200, Oleh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've made an update to ob-clojure.el, which wasn't working for me with
> the new cider (the required function was removed).
>
> I haven't looked into 'nrepl or 'slime options for evaluation, is
> anyone using them?
>
> Eric, should 'nrepl option be removed as obsolete? And maybe 'slime as well?
>
> regards,
> Oleh

I'm not sure about removing nrepl and slime, as there may be some still
using them, especially nrepl.  As long as it is not getting in the way,
perhaps at this time it would be better to leave them in?  I'm not sure
the open-source and/or emacs-org philosophy on this kind of thing.

Prior to updating the documentation for Clojure code blocks earlier this
year, which was several years old, I did a lot of searching around and
came to the conclusion that the slime and swank-clojure functionality
was no longer being developed, and the community had moved on to nrepl.
CIDER evolved from nrepl, and is the current direction.

https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider

The revised documentation is very "CIDER-centric":

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html

Regards,
Greg

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-14 10:11   ` Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2014-04-14 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soapy Smith; +Cc: org mode, Eric Schulte

>> I've made an update to ob-clojure.el, which wasn't working for me with
>> the new cider (the required function was removed).
>>
>> I haven't looked into 'nrepl or 'slime options for evaluation, is
>> anyone using them?
>>
>> Eric, should 'nrepl option be removed as obsolete? And maybe 'slime as well?
>>

> I'm not sure about removing nrepl and slime, as there may be some still
> using them, especially nrepl.  As long as it is not getting in the way,
> perhaps at this time it would be better to leave them in?  I'm not sure
> the open-source and/or emacs-org philosophy on this kind of thing.
>
> Prior to updating the documentation for Clojure code blocks earlier this
> year, which was several years old, I did a lot of searching around and
> came to the conclusion that the slime and swank-clojure functionality
> was no longer being developed, and the community had moved on to nrepl.
> CIDER evolved from nrepl, and is the current direction.
>
> https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider
>
> The revised documentation is very "CIDER-centric":
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html

My point was that if even CIDER, which is a favorite method, has
bit-rotted to the point of not working, makes it a bit questionable to
try to support the other two methods.

For instance, I could not get SLIME to work with org when I tried a
year ago, so I don't know if it's working now.

And CIDER replaces nREPL, so nREPL should be dropped at some point.
On the other hand, since nREPL isn't being edited now it's unlikely to
produce the same problem as CIDER did (the function used by ob-clojure
was removed from CIDER).

regards,
Oleh

* Re: update to ob-clojure.el
@ 2014-04-17 18:51   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-17 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Soapy Smith; +Cc: org mode, Oleh, Eric Schulte

Hi Greg and Oleh,

Soapy Smith <soapy-smith@comcast.net> writes:

> I'm not sure about removing nrepl and slime, as there may be some still
> using them, especially nrepl.  As long as it is not getting in the way,
> perhaps at this time it would be better to leave them in?

Agreed.

> I'm not sure
> the open-source and/or emacs-org philosophy on this kind of thing.

"If it ain't broken, don't fix it."

> Prior to updating the documentation for Clojure code blocks earlier this
> year, which was several years old, I did a lot of searching around and
> came to the conclusion that the slime and swank-clojure functionality
> was no longer being developed, and the community had moved on to nrepl.
> CIDER evolved from nrepl, and is the current direction.
>
> https://github.com/clojure-emacs/cider
>
> The revised documentation is very "CIDER-centric":
>
> http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/languages/ob-doc-clojure.html

Yes, we shall put all efforts into supporting CIDER, and then ping the
Clojure community to know whether slime and nrepl still need to be
supported.  But for Org 8.3, let's continue to have those.

--
 Bastien