* Package shadowing?
@ 2014-04-22 15:25 Williams, Ken
From: Williams, Ken @ 2014-04-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I'm using GNU Emacs 24.3.1 on Windows 7.

I just did an elpa-install (M-x list-packages, hit 'i' on the 'org' line, and then hit 'x'.  In my .emacs file I had

  (require 'package)
  (add-to-list 'package-archives '("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/") t)

Everything seemed to go fine.  Then when I quit & relaunch emacs, I check the version and I see this:

   Org-mode version 7.9.3f (release_7.9.3f-17-g7524ef @ c:/Users/kwilliams/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140422/)

Is that messed up?  I'm supposed to have version 8.2.6 at this point, right?

--
Ken Williams, Senior Research Scientist
WindLogics

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of any kind is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender via reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

* Re: Package shadowing?
@ 2014-04-22 15:50 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-22 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Williams, Ken; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

"Williams, Ken" <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:

> Is that messed up?  I’m supposed to have version 8.2.6 at this point,
> right?

Please carefully read the Installation instructions in the manual:
  http://orgmode.org/manual/Installation.html#Installation

When installing from ELPA, you need to make sure your packages are
activated before any Org function has been loaded, otherwise this
will load the previously available Org version.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Package shadowing?
@ 2014-04-22 17:28   ` Williams, Ken
From: Williams, Ken @ 2014-04-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Thanks, got it now.  Perhaps this could be more clearly linked from http://orgmode.org/elpa.html ?  I was looking at that (got there from 1 click on the home page) and it wasn't clear to me there was anything else I had to do during installation or config.

In addition, the /elpa.html page makes no mention of the "session where no .org file has been visited" text I see on the /Installation.html page, maybe those two sections need to be reconciled/consolidated?

 -Ken

________________________________

@ 2014-04-22 21:02     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2014-04-22 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Williams, Ken; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi Williams,

"Williams, Ken" <Ken.Williams@windlogics.com> writes:

> Thanks, got it now.  Perhaps this could be more clearly linked from
> http://orgmode.org/elpa.html ?  I was looking at that (got there from
> 1 click on the home page) and it wasn't clear to me there was anything
> else I had to do during installation or config.
>
> In addition, the /elpa.html page makes no mention of the "session
> where no .org file has been visited" text I see on the
> /Installation.html page, maybe those two sections need to be
> reconciled/consolidated?

Yes, I added a note to http://orgmode.org/elpa.html so as to make sure
people will also check the manual.

 Bastien