From: Daniel Clemente <n142857@gmail.com>
To: Org-mode Org-Mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: demoting a heading inserts spaces in column-0 text
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 21:29:11 +0700	[thread overview]

> >   Is this possible?
>
> Why wouldn't it?

  I thought this could also kill kittens.

  Would you be so kind to allow this as an option for org-adapt-indentation? This is the most similar to the default behaviour that org-mode had until 2014, it looks nice, it's flexible and it doesn't break structure.
  Or could you provide some steps to implement this? (E.g. functions that need to be taken care of).

  About the 2nd proposal:

> >   I'd rather have org-adapt-indentation = 'initial-only which works
> >   like like org-adapt-indentation = nil with the extra that „Property
> >   drawers and planning information is inserted indented“.
> >
> >   That is, new things appear with the same indentation as the element above.
> >   And demoting doesn't indent anything.
> >
> >   Example:
> >

> > ** something
> >

> >   You press C-c C-s and you get:
> >

> > ** something
> >    SCHEDULED: <2051-01-09 Mon>
> >

> >   You press S-M-right and you get:
> >

> > *** something
> >    SCHEDULED: <2051-01-09 Mon>
> >

> >   The user can then manually decide whether he wants to correct
> >   indentations for each line.
>
> I fail to see how this would be useful. In particular, it fails if the
> section has contents prior to the scheduling step. Also, it doesn't
> solve Sébastien's problem.

  Both Sébastien and I agree that this…:

>> **** Some text
>>      [2014-12-14 Sun 18:55]

…looks nicer than this:

>> **** Some text
>> [2014-12-14 Sun 18:55]

  With the algorithm above, you'll get the nice version with the downside that org-mode won't handle indentation for you from now on. If org-adapt-indentation=nil is useful, this is useful and a bit nicer.
  If the section has contents prior to the scheduling line, you can still follow the rule that new things inherit the indentation of the previous element.

  The first option seems better anyway, but the second one seems easier to implement.

Greetings