* Buffer positions from `org-element-map'?
@ 2015-01-28  1:48 Charles C. Berry
From: Charles C. Berry @ 2015-01-28  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to be able to determine the buffer position of (say) inline
src blocks as in the following and operate on them using
`org-element-map'. This might enable modification and replacement of a
few objects in a large buffer.

What I would like is to have the same values of :begin as would be
obtained by placing the cursor on each inline src block and evaluating
(org-element-context). As is evident below, :begin is sometimes a
relative position.

Suggestions on how to get the buffer position or some other way to do
in situ buffer modifications from `org-element-map' without
interpreting a complete parse tree (which I expect requires more
computation that doing selected `delete then insert' operations) are
welcome.

Chuck

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
   (org-element-map (org-element-parse-buffer)
       'inline-src-block
     (lambda (x) (list
                  (org-element-property :begin x)
                  (org-element-property :value x))))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
| 326 | "not in headline" |
|   1 | "in head line"    |
| 395 | "not in headline" |

src_emacs-lisp{"not in headline"}

* src_emacs-lisp{"in head line"}

src_emacs-lisp{"not in headline"}

* Re: Buffer positions from `org-element-map'?
@ 2015-01-28  2:24 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-01-28  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Charles,

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> What I would like is to have the same values of :begin as would be
> obtained by placing the cursor on each inline src block and evaluating
> (org-element-context). As is evident below, :begin is sometimes a
> relative position.

OK

> Suggestions on how to get the buffer position or some other way to do
> in situ buffer modifications from `org-element-map' without
> interpreting a complete parse tree (which I expect requires more
> computation that doing selected `delete then insert' operations) are
> welcome.

Regexp and cl!

Note, if you want it do always do it on the whole file use
org-with-wide-buffer.  You might also want to wrap it in a
save-match-data.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :results code
  (save-excursion
   (goto-char (point-min))
   (cl-loop while (search-forward-regexp org-babel-inline-src-block-regexp nil t)
            collect (list :begin (match-beginning 1)
                          :at-heading (org-at-heading-p))))
#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
((:begin 424 :at-heading nil)
 (:begin 461 :at-heading t)
 (:begin 493 :at-heading nil))
#+END_SRC

src_emacs-lisp{"not in headline"}

* src_emacs-lisp{"in head line"}

src_emacs-lisp{"not in headline"}

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
Governments should be afraid of their people

* Re: Buffer positions from `org-element-map'?
@ 2015-01-28  7:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-01-28  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Charles C. Berry" <ccberry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> What I would like is to have the same values of :begin as would be
> obtained by placing the cursor on each inline src block and evaluating
> (org-element-context). As is evident below, :begin is sometimes a
> relative position.

This was fixed recently.

> Suggestions on how to get the buffer position or some other way to do
> in situ buffer modifications from `org-element-map' without
> interpreting a complete parse tree (which I expect requires more
> computation that doing selected `delete then insert' operations) are
> welcome.

I think the most efficient is to do a fast search, e.g.,

  (search-forward "src_" nil t)

then, with `org-element-context', double-check type of object found and
collect :begin property.

Nicolas Goaziou