On 2015-05-06 Wed 03:24, Rasmus wrote: > Hi Titus, > > Titus von der Malsburg writes: > >> Parentheses are punctuation, so the $ in my example should be >> interpreted as math delimiters. I think whoever wrote the code, simply >> overlooked parentheses when implementing the punctuation part. > > I believe the problem is complicated. I had a look at the code in org-element.el (thanks for the pointer). There is clearly a bigger problem here: There is a regexp listing all characters that must follow the final $ to make it qualify as a math delimiter (whitespace, punctuation). As I suspected, the parentheses are missing from that list (and adding them solves my problem). However, a metric ton of other punctuation marks are missing as well, Spanish question marks, curly/smart quotes, real dashes (a minus is not a dash!), …, even the exclamation mark is missing. If syntax tables allow a proper solution, great. I understand that syntax tables have a different meaning in different modes but does that matter? We’re only concerned about org-mode, right? Are there scenarios where the org parser is used in a non-org-mode buffer? I also saw that the commit that introduced the problem had the following description: Avoid using slow regexp. So if the problem is only due to mistaken optimization, it would perhaps be best to just revert to the previous code. Titus > In principal you could change the regexp in > org-element-latex-fragment-parser to something like > > "\\(\\s.\\|\\s-\\|\\s)\\|\\s\"\\|\\s_\\)" > > You'd only be relying on syntax tables, which I believe is what you are > suggesting. But this is also dangerous, see e.g. the recent change of > org-string-nw-p which previously relied on "\\S" cf.: > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/95473 > >> This should be fixed. > > Patches welcome. You could try to submit a patch where you add closing > parenthesis characters. > > It could even be patches to org.texi! > > Thanks, > Rasmus