From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Bug: org-emphasis-alist not fully applied [9.1.1 (9.1.1-1-g80cbf9-elpa @ x:/folder/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20170918/)]
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 23:38:55 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Jens Lange <jens.lange.de@gmail.com> writes:

> "If they don't want items added to org-emphasis-alist they shouldn't use
> the repeat customization type which allows insertion and deletion.
> Furthermore, they should add a note about this restriction in the doc
> string of org-emphasis-alist. Maybe, you can give a follow-up in the
> bug-report about that."

Indeed, the customize type needs to be fixed. Patch welcome!

> So I did what he requested. He also provided me with a working solution.
> Even with that said I might ask if you could consider supporting adding new
> emphasis definitions in the future?

I'm not even sure about what you are talking about.

Allowing to extend `org-emphasis-alist' with any marker means there is
not anymore a single Org format. Any one can define its own with fancy
markers. This is not portable.Besides, having syntax you cannot control
is asking for trouble. I'm totally against this idea.

Org already provides 6 emphasis markers, which is enough in my book.

On the other hand, you may be only interested in marking some text with
a special face in a buffer. Both Org and Emacs provide ways to do that
without messing with Org syntax. As pointed out in the thread,
`org-font-lock-set-keywords-hook' is one of them.

Nicolas Goaziou