* Possible orgalist issue
@ 2020-01-07  5:13 Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-01-07  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm running into an issue with the oralist package. However, I am
running some bleeding edge versions, so this might be something related
to one of them. Really wanted to see if anyone else has observed this
and to verify I am loading the package correctly.

The Problem:

When editing a message and oralist is loaded, when I get to the fill
column, the message "Variable binding depth exceeds max-specpdl-size"
is displayed in the echo error and the cursor jumps back to the
beginning of the current line (not to the next line as would be
expected). This only occurs if orgalist is loaded.

I'm loading orgalist as follows

(use-package orgalist
  :ensure t
  :config
  (add-hook 'mu4e-compose-mode-hook 'orgalist-mode))

I'm using mu4e from the git repository (current head version), Emacs
built from Emacs git repository (emacs-27 branch) and latest
org-plus-contrib package from the org repository.

Questions:

1. anyone else seeing this who is using Emacs 27.0.60
2. am I loading orgalist correctly?
3. anyone running latest mu4e (dev version) seeing this?

My suspicion is that it is related to the latest mu4e version, but
that is really just a guess.

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Possible orgalist issue
@ 2020-01-07  8:32 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2020-01-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Questions:
>
> 1. anyone else seeing this who is using Emacs 27.0.60

It rings a bell. I think someone recently reported something like this.
Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce it on Emacs 27.0.50 in Message
mode (which isn't your setup anyway).

> 2. am I loading orgalist correctly?

Probably. I don't think there is a wrong way to load Orgalist package.
It is a very simple library that consists of a single file. Just make
sure you're using latest 1.11 release.

> 3. anyone running latest mu4e (dev version) seeing this?
>
> My suspicion is that it is related to the latest mu4e version, but
> that is really just a guess.

Maybe the backtrace would help understanding the issue.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Possible orgalist issue
@ 2020-01-07  8:47   ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-01-07  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

> Hello,
>
> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1. anyone else seeing this who is using Emacs 27.0.60
>
> It rings a bell. I think someone recently reported something like this.
> Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce it on Emacs 27.0.50 in Message
> mode (which isn't your setup anyway).
>
>> 2. am I loading orgalist correctly?
>
> Probably. I don't think there is a wrong way to load Orgalist package.
> It is a very simple library that consists of a single file. Just make
> sure you're using latest 1.11 release.
>
>> 3. anyone running latest mu4e (dev version) seeing this?
>>
>> My suspicion is that it is related to the latest mu4e version, but
>> that is really just a guess.

thanks Nicolas, I will dig further.

Just FYI the newest version of mu4e is now using the gnus message mode
for composing new messages (mu4e-compose is derived from message
mode). It is quite likely there is an issue with how this is being done
(I have encountered other issues previously).

--
Tim Cross

* Re: Possible orgalist issue
@ 2020-01-07 15:20   ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2020-01-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Cross; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:37 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> It rings a bell. I think someone recently reported something like this.

There was this thread from a ~year ago:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-09/msg00053.html

You don't mention other packages, so I don't know if this is related
to your issue.

I adopted Nicholas' suggestion of disabling Yasnippet, then enabling
Orgalist, and eventually enabling Yasnippet again.  (I am using mu4e
1.3.6 and emacs 26.3.)  My init has

(defun jws/orgalist-yas-workaround ()
  (progn
    (yas-minor-mode -1)
    (orgalist-mode 1)
    (yas-minor-mode)))

(add-hook 'mu4e-compose-mode-hook 'jws/orgalist-yas-workaround 'append)

I haven't hit this issue since.

Josiah

* Re: Possible orgalist issue
@ 2020-01-07 21:28     ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2020-01-07 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: org-mode

Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:37 AM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:
>
>> It rings a bell. I think someone recently reported something like this.
>
> There was this thread from a ~year ago:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2018-09/msg00053.html
>
> You don't mention other packages, so I don't know if this is related
> to your issue.
>
> I adopted Nicholas' suggestion of disabling Yasnippet, then enabling
> Orgalist, and eventually enabling Yasnippet again.  (I am using mu4e
> 1.3.6 and emacs 26.3.)  My init has
>
> (defun jws/orgalist-yas-workaround ()
>   (progn
>     (yas-minor-mode -1)
>     (orgalist-mode 1)
>     (yas-minor-mode)))
>
> (add-hook 'mu4e-compose-mode-hook 'jws/orgalist-yas-workaround 'append)
>
> I haven't hit this issue since.
>
> Josiah

thanks Josiah, that is useful information. I will check to see if it
helps (I am using yasnippets).

--
Tim Cross