From: Gustavo Barros <gusbrs.2016@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: [Feature Request] More flexibility in org-speed-commands customization
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 15:49:48 -0300	[thread overview]

Hi All,

Org's speed keys are a very interesting feature to which I've long been
attracted to.  And indeed, I've flirted with it a number of times in the
past.  But every time I do so, I end up stepping back, because I get
weary of fat fingering my documents.  The whole set of speed keys is
more powerful than what I would wish.  I'd love to have speed keys for
navigation and visibility, but I would also gladly refrain from these
"too handy" editing keys.

As things stand, the speed keys are defined by combining
`org-speed-commands-default', a defconst, and `org-speed-commands-user',
a defcustom.  But the former already contains a large set of speed keys,
including some quite powerful editing ones.  And it is thus hard to
remove these keys.

Of course, it is possible.  We could shadow the same key in
`org-speed-commands-user' to do nothing.  Or, though a defconst,
`org-speed-commands-default' can be redefined after loading Org.  The
first is clumsy, and renders the `org-speed-command-help' buffer quite
confusing.  The second feels wrong (because it is).

I don't know if there is a strong reason to hard-code the set of keys in
`org-speed-commands-default'.  But, if there isn't, could you consider
(somehow) exposing the whole set of `org-speed-commands' to user
customization?

Best,
Gustavo.