From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Cc: John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Bug: org-table-sort-lines returns error [9.3.7 (release_9.3.7-705-gea9463 @ /home/oub/emacs/site-lisp/packages/org/)]
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 13:50:34 +0200	[thread overview]

>>> "NG" == Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> writes:

> Hello,
> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> I am running emacs 28 master 84ec57fe06e187f41a3546131d5dae3b185c3511
>>
>> Steps to reproduce
>>
>> #+TBLNAME: original
>> | Day       | Color | Level | Quantity |
>>
>> |-----------+-------+-------+----------|
>> | Monday    | Red   |    30 |       11 |
>> | Monday    | Blue  |    25 |        3 |
>> | Tuesday   | Red   |    51 |       12 |
>> | Tuesday   | Red   |    45 |       15 |
>> | Tuesday   | Blue  |    33 |       18 |
>> | Wednesday | Red   |    27 |       23 |
>> | Wednesday | Blue  |    12 |       16 |
>> | Wednesday | Blue  |    15 |       15 |
>> | Thursday  | Red   |    39 |       24 |
>> | Thursday  | Red   |    41 |       29 |
>> | Thursday  | Red   |    49 |       30 |
>> | Friday    | Blue  |     7 |        5 |
>> | Friday    | Blue  |     6 |        8 |
>> | Friday    | Blue  |    11 |        9 |
>>
>> Put curso on number 30 in the third column call the function and select
>> numercial sorting, a bug trace occurs which I attach.

> I cannot reproduce it. I'm using neither Emacs 28 nor Org Ref, tho.

I tried it with emacs27 and obtained the same error

>> I run undo, widen and repeat the operation and then it works
>               ^^^^^
>                ???

> You didn't say you were narrowing something.

I did not! The buffer got widen when I executed the command.

> Anyway, for the time being the error may come from Org Ref (org-ref-delete-labels).

Very odd, but in earlier org version this problem did not occur.

@John, do you have any comments?

I will try to upgrade org-ref and if that does not help I will try to
bisect the problem compiling older org versions