* Inconsistency between code and manual: org-lowest-priority or org-priority-lowest
@ 2020-10-29 18:30 Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2020-10-29 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

Hello,

I found an inconsistency between the manual and implementation: the
Priorities section says that the range of valid priorities can be set
modifying the `org-priority-highest', `org-priority-lowest' and
`org-priority-default' variables. However, in the code the variables
names are `org-highest-priority', `org-lowest-priority' and
`org-default-priority'.

In can submit a patch with a fix. However, in a case like this, should
the code modified to match the documentation, or vice-versa?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Dan

* Re: Inconsistency between code and manual: org-lowest-priority or org-priority-lowest
@ 2020-10-30  4:57 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-10-30  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Nicolodi; +Cc: Org Mode List

Daniele Nicolodi writes:

> Hello,
>
> I found an inconsistency between the manual and implementation: the
> Priorities section says that the range of valid priorities can be set
> modifying the `org-priority-highest', `org-priority-lowest' and
> `org-priority-default' variables. However, in the code the variables
> names are `org-highest-priority', `org-lowest-priority' and
> `org-default-priority'.
>
> In can submit a patch with a fix. However, in a case like this, should
> the code modified to match the documentation, or vice-versa?

The org-X-priority -> org-priority-X rename happened in v9.4, with
org-X-priority names retained as aliases.  So, it sounds like there are
some leftover bits in the code.

Thanks.

* Re: Inconsistency between code and manual: org-lowest-priority or org-priority-lowest
@ 2020-10-30 11:01   ` Daniele Nicolodi
From: Daniele Nicolodi @ 2020-10-30 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Org Mode List

On 30/10/2020 05:57, Kyle Meyer wrote:
> Daniele Nicolodi writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I found an inconsistency between the manual and implementation: the
>> Priorities section says that the range of valid priorities can be set
>> modifying the `org-priority-highest', `org-priority-lowest' and
>> `org-priority-default' variables. However, in the code the variables
>> names are `org-highest-priority', `org-lowest-priority' and
>> `org-default-priority'.
>>
>> In can submit a patch with a fix. However, in a case like this, should
>> the code modified to match the documentation, or vice-versa?
>
> The org-X-priority -> org-priority-X rename happened in v9.4, with
> org-X-priority names retained as aliases.  So, it sounds like there are
> some leftover bits in the code.

You are absolutely right. This is what you get when you read the manual
for the latest version but look at the code for an old one...

@ 2020-10-31 17:30     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-10-31 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniele Nicolodi; +Cc: Org Mode List

Daniele Nicolodi writes:

> On 30/10/2020 05:57, Kyle Meyer wrote:

>> The org-X-priority -> org-priority-X rename happened in v9.4, with
>> org-X-priority names retained as aliases.  So, it sounds like there are
>> some leftover bits in the code.
>
> You are absolutely right. This is what you get when you read the manual
> for the latest version but look at the code for an old one...

Quickly grepping, a few instances of the old names remain in the code
base, if you're still interested in sending a patch.

* Re: Inconsistency between code and manual: org-lowest-priority or org-priority-lowest
@ 2020-11-11  8:14       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2020-11-11  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Org Mode List, Daniele Nicolodi

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Daniele Nicolodi writes:
>
>> On 30/10/2020 05:57, Kyle Meyer wrote:
>
>>> The org-X-priority -> org-priority-X rename happened in v9.4, with
>>> org-X-priority names retained as aliases.  So, it sounds like there are
>>> some leftover bits in the code.
>>
>> You are absolutely right. This is what you get when you read the manual
>> for the latest version but look at the code for an old one...
>
> Quickly grepping, a few instances of the old names remain in the code
> base, if you're still interested in sending a patch.

I fixed the ones I've found in 370cf49cd and ff5fd323b.  Thanks!

--
 Bastien