Bastien writes: > Ihor Radchenko writes: > >> org-git-version is very useful when people report bugs. >> M-x org-submit-bug-report supplies org-git-version output for bug >> subject. Thus, we can easily check which git commit their build >> corresponds to. > > Let's keep `org-git-version'. If we manage to release Org more often > (minor and major versions), I doubt keep `org-git-version' will remain > that useful in practise, though. Let's revisit the topic then. I think that it will still be useful. In particular, consider major new feature development. We may take a longer delay between releases then. >> Note that we already have a way to parse Org version from lisp/org.el, >> similar to what the commit you referenced does. >> It is just that this code path is not used by default. > > I'd favor using it by default. > > When using Org from the main branch of the git repository, > M-x org-version RET should return this: > > "Org mode version 9.6-dev (release_9.5.5-822-g0a6a56 @ [load-path])" The code I quoted explicitly removes the "-dev" part. Would you prefer to keep it? > Can you provide a patch for the above suggestions? I'll test and see > if more fixes are needed, even though I'm also not that familiar with > the code either. See the attached. After the patch, org-version returns Org mode version 9.6 (release_9.5.5-830-g77f9e1 @ [load-path])