* Named fields in tables
@ 2007-03-14 15:33 Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2007-03-14 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I've seen this in Orgmode (4.68): If you use named fields in an Orgmode
table, the field name should not contain a "-", like in "sum-up". Field
names with this sign don't work (you won't get an error message, but the
formula with that field name isn't computed). I hope others can verify
this phenomenon.

Schöne Grüße,

Uwe

* Re: Named fields in tables
@ 2007-03-14 15:44 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-03-14 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Jochum; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

This is correct, because "-" is an operator.  How would you tell the
difference between "$sum - 2" and "$sum-2"?

Is that not documented?  Damn I guess I assumed this to be
obvious.  Not so.

Thanks

- Carsten

On Mar 14, 2007, at 16:33, Uwe Jochum wrote:

> I've seen this in Orgmode (4.68): If you use named fields in an Orgmode
> table, the field name should not contain a "-", like in "sum-up". Field
> names with this sign don't work (you won't get an error message, but
> the
> formula with that field name isn't computed). I hope others can verify
> this phenomenon.
>
> Schöne Grüße,
>
> Uwe

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* Re: Named fields in tables
@ 2007-03-14 16:28   ` Uwe Jochum
From: Uwe Jochum @ 2007-03-14 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Message from Mrz 14 2007 (16:44):
> This is correct, because "-" is an operator.  How would you tell the
> difference between "$sum - 2" and "$sum-2"?
>
> Is that not documented?  Damn I guess I assumed this to be
> obvious.  Not so.

Carsten,

you're right: the "-"-problem should be obvious... But I am not trained
as a mathematician or a computer scientist, I am a humble literary
scholar and librarian who looks on the "-" as a simple dash, not an
operator. But I like to learn the way others think and computer programs
work.

Thanks for the explanation!

Uwe

* Re: Named fields in tables
@ 2007-03-15 15:51     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-03-15 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Uwe Jochum" <uwe.jochum@uni-konstanz.de> writes:

> But I am not trained as a mathematician or a computer scientist, I am a
> humble literary scholar and librarian who looks on the "-" as a simple
> dash, not an operator. But I like to learn the way others think and
> computer programs work.

Good to see "humble literary scholar" here!  Now we are at least two :)

--
Bastien