* howto fine tune agenda view
@ 2007-09-06 13:29 Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2007-09-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi!

With so many options in this org forest, it is easy to miss the tree
I'm looking for ...

Would appreciate it if someone could kick me in the right direction,
apologies for the length of my question:

I use org-mode to keep track of items i'm supposed to write and track
these until i've invoiced them, after which they're in my "Eekboek"
<plug> a Dutch open source bookkeeping application </plug> and I can
track 'em there.

So, studying the documentation, I added this to my set up

(setq org-todo-keywords
      '((sequence "TODO" "|" "DONE")
        (sequence "WRITE" "VERIFY" "INVOICE" "|" "INVOICED")))

In most cases the time between INVOICE and INVOICED will be a few
days. In some cases it is a month or more :-( as I wait for the client
to send me some details I need add with the invoice.

I definitively want the WRITE in my agenda view. But is there a tweak
that allows me to make some of these INVOICE todo's disappear at least
temporary from my agenda view? I'm not sure scheduling does this.

Thx

--
 Selma: Hmm... It is probably my last chance to be a mommy.
Waiter: Cigarette, Mrs. McClure?

* Re: howto fine tune agenda view
@ 2007-09-06 14:03 ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2007-09-06 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

   -- Replying to my own post without quoting it:

I should add, that I *now* understand this is a FAQ and it
could potentially be solved by adding a timestamp instead of
scedule/deadline. But all of my WRITE items come with deadlines...

I believe (I'm trying it out now) that having a DEADLINE sort of
blocks what the timestamp could do.. or I would have to manually
delete the deadlines..

Gijs
--
"I don't have to take this abuse from you -- I've got hundreds of
people waiting to abuse me."

* Re: howto fine tune agenda view
@ 2007-09-07  6:14   ` Gijs Hillenius
From: Gijs Hillenius @ 2007-09-07  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On  6 Sep 2007, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

   > -- Replying to my own post without quoting it:
>
> I should add, that I *now* understand this is a FAQ and it
> could potentially be solved by adding a timestamp instead of
> scedule/deadline. But all of my WRITE items come with deadlines...
>
> I believe (I'm trying it out now) that having a DEADLINE sort of
> blocks what the timestamp could do.. or I would have to manually
> delete the deadlines..

Manually deleting the (passed) deadline and adding a timestamp indeed
gives me the result I want. But now I've destroyed my deadline
info. Is there another trick I could try?

Thx

Gijs

--
To iterate is human, to recurse, divine.
		-- Robert Heller

* Re: howto fine tune agenda view
@ 2007-09-09 15:35 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-09 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gijs Hillenius; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

The best approach for this may be to not use scheduling or deadlines
at all, but to use the TODO list to track these.  There you can easily
select which TODO keywords you want to have listed.  For example:

C-u C-c a t  WRITE|VERIFY  RET

will give you all TODO entries that are either WRITE or VERIFY, but not
the ones
that are "INVOICE".

Hope this helps.

- Carsten

On Sep 6, 2007, at 15:29, Gijs Hillenius wrote:

> Hi!
>
> With so many options in this org forest, it is easy to miss the tree
> I'm looking for ...
>
> Would appreciate it if someone could kick me in the right direction,
> apologies for the length of my question:
>
> I use org-mode to keep track of items i'm supposed to write and track
> these until i've invoiced them, after which they're in my "Eekboek"
> <plug> a Dutch open source bookkeeping application </plug> and I can
> track 'em there.
>
> So, studying the documentation, I added this to my set up
>
> (setq org-todo-keywords
>       '((sequence "TODO" "|" "DONE")
>         (sequence "WRITE" "VERIFY" "INVOICE" "|" "INVOICED")))
>
> In most cases the time between INVOICE and INVOICED will be a few
> days. In some cases it is a month or more :-( as I wait for the client
> to send me some details I need add with the invoice.
>
> I definitively want the WRITE in my agenda view. But is there a tweak
> that allows me to make some of these INVOICE todo's disappear at least
> temporary from my agenda view? I'm not sure scheduling does this.
>
> Thx
>

> --
>  Selma: Hmm... It is probably my last chance to be a mommy.
> Waiter: Cigarette, Mrs. McClure?
>   Troy: You bet! From now on, she's smoking for two!
> 		-- "A Fish Called Selma"

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403