* Re: Re: MORE: Using git via USB for personal org dir and other data files
@ 2009-03-02 13:54 Alan
From: Alan @ 2009-03-02 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

     [Thank you to Bernt for the *clear* explanation of using branches!]

     I seem to be moving out of the woods with this, and for the most
     part, the experiment has been going smoothly.  However, I've run
     afoul of permissions, a bugaboo that was mentioned in an earlier
     post on this topic.

     I established a bare git repo on the USB drive, from a reasonably
     clean tree.  Pushing changes went well later on.

     I cloned this repo onto the second machine, edited quite a bit,
     but was  dismayed when  I tried to push: an error message
     indicated that some file couldn't be written.  So far,  the
     problem seems to be permissions.  Preliminary checking shows that
     the group and user IDs are numerical on the flash drive,
     corresponding to the ID of the user who originally cloned the
     repo.

     I have a tentative plan of action, but I know nothing about the
     use of permissions with git.

        1. I have established a group "git" with a high group number,
           so I can set create the same group on the work machine,
           with the same group number.  (I think it's too complicated
           to change user numbers at this point).  My users on the two
           machine have different user names.  It would be pretty
           complicated right now to change the user's ID number.

        2. I am setting the group permissions as read and write.

	   # chmod -R g+w /media/BLUE/org.git

        3. Does this make sense?

     This is a great thing.  I want to put a whole bunch of work in such
     a repo.

     Thank you for the help.

      Alan

--
Alan Davis

"An inviscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need for
one non-existent."
    ---Lord Raleigh (John WilliamStrutt), or else his son, who was also a
       scientist.

* MORE: Using git via USB for personal org dir and other data files
@ 2009-02-28  5:11 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2009-02-28  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)