* Showing table formulas in cells
@ 2009-07-25  7:25 gregory mitchell
From: gregory mitchell @ 2009-07-25  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I was wondering if anyone has found a way to toggle cells so that
formulas could be shown/hidden in place of calculated results in
org-mode tables.

Also wanted to test this list since I haven't posted to it yet.

Hoping to hear back.

GJM

* Re: Showing table formulas in cells
@ 2009-07-25 22:24 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-25 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregory mitchell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Gregory,

gregory mitchell <radiochickenwax@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if anyone has found a way to toggle cells so that
> formulas could be shown/hidden in place of calculated results in
> org-mode tables.

This is not what you're looking for but perhaps it comes close: the
C-c ' key edits the cell at point in a separate buffer.

Also, since the formulas are already shown below the table, I would
find it somewhat confusing to display them within the cell...

> Also wanted to test this list since I haven't posted to it yet.

It works!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Showing table formulas in cells
@ 2009-07-25 23:21   ` gregory mitchell
From: gregory mitchell @ 2009-07-25 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Bastien <bastienguerry@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> gregory mitchell <radiochickenwax@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I was wondering if anyone has found a way to toggle cells so that
> > formulas could be shown/hidden in place of calculated results in
> > org-mode tables.
>
> This is not what you're looking for but perhaps it comes close: the
> C-c ' key edits the cell at point in a separate buffer.

I currently use  "C-u C-c ="  to get the formula of the cell at point in the
minibuffer, but it would be nice to extend this to other cells as well.

> Also, since the formulas are already shown below the table, I would
> find it somewhat confusing to display them within the cell...

Most dedicated spreadsheets, i.e. excel,  have an option to toggle the
display of formulas/results  in cells.  Having all of the formulas at the
bottom of a table can get even more confusing with large tables that contain
lots of formulas on a single line.

> > Also wanted to test this list since I haven't posted to it yet.
>
> It works!
>
> --

Glad that this works!  Thanks for the response.

@ 2009-07-26  9:14     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregory mitchell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

gregory mitchell <radiochickenwax@gmail.com> writes:

> Most dedicated spreadsheets, i.e. excel,  have an option to toggle the display
> of formulas/results  in cells.  Having all of the formulas at the bottom of a
> table can get even more confusing with large tables that contain lots of
> formulas on a single line.

Yes, I understand.

I let Carsten answer this because that would be a significant UI change
and I'm not familiar enough with the code for tables.

 Bastien