From: Eric S Fraga <ucecesf@ucl.ac.uk>
To: Gary <orgmode@garydjones.name>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Re: From state table to state diagram
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:28:13 +0100	[thread overview]

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:06:32 +0200, Gary <orgmode@garydjones.name> wrote:

> Eric S Fraga wrote:
>
> > Sorry, that should have been graphviz... typing on a phone.  :-(
>
> :))
>
> Okay, thanks. I know about graphviz, but it is not really what I am
> looking for. Ideally I would create a state transition table and then
> just "magically" get a diagram as a by-product. I can definitely see
> that the DOT language might be a good target though - generating that
> from a table should be easier than generating a diagram directly.

Yes, that is what I was thinking (but did not want to type on the
little on-screen keyboard of my phone...) when I suggested graphviz:
dot could be a good intermediate language.

> Well, maybe it's a bit specific and nobody has done anything so I should
> look into it on my own :)

It is indeed specific but I think there would be some interest in what
you manage to concoct so please post it here!

If I were to have time to do this right now, I would probably use awk
to convert a state transition table to a dot graph representation but
only because I'm very comfortable with awk and much less so with emacs
lisp...

And the ease will depend on the type of transition table you have as
the starting point, of course...

As an aside, when it comes to actually generating a diagram, I would
in practive typically use tikz due to the quality of the graphs that
can be achieved.  However, it may be harder to do a table \to tikz
translation automatically.