Matt Lundin writes: > I use beamer for presentations and appreciate the fine-grained control > over effects that it provides. For instance, I can combine overlay > specifications with includegraphics to mix and match different text and > images on the same frame. > > \begin{frame} > \frametitle{A Title} > > \begin{columns}[c] > > \column{2in} > \begin{itemize} > \item \emph{Text on first and second slides} > \begin{itemize} > \item<2-> Text on second slide > \item<2-> \textbf<3>{Text on second slide, bold on third slide} > \end{itemize} > \end{itemize} > > \column{3in} > \includegraphics<1>[height=3in]{image1.jpg} % first slide only > \includegraphics<2>[height=3in]{image2.jpg} % second slide only > \includegraphics<3>[height=3in]{image3.jpg} % third slide only > \end{columns} > \end{frame} > > Any ideas how I might accomplish similar effects in org-beamer (without > having too hack up the org file with too much LaTeX code)? The attached (with three different figures...) will do the job although it does use latex for graphics statements unfortunately. It may be possible to use the ATTR_LATEX feature to bring in the specifications but I don't know how if so. I have to change the column widths to fractions of \textwidth as that is the default. Again, it may be possible to specify actual sizes but I don't know how. I prefer fractions in any case as I don't have to worry about the actual "size" then (and so works for posters as well!). > More generally, I'd be curious to learn how others use org beamer. Is > its primary purpose to create "quick and dirty" bullet-point > presentations? I generally find that I have to insert so much LaTeX code > into the org outline that it defeats the purpose of using org for > drafting the presentation. So perhaps I'm too fussy. :) I have just converted a series of lecture notes (30-40 lectures, several hundred slides) from latex to org and I have kept explicit latex only for the following: 1. tikz pictures 2. the odd \uncover aspects on some slides (for pedagogical reasons). Everything else is handled by org directly including transitions in lists and columns (use BEAMER_envargs). > Any insights and/or advice would be greatly appreciated. Start by having latex snippets where you need them until you figure out how to do things natively in org. The nice thing about org is that you can have pretty much as much latex as you want and it works just fine. I used the babel approach in the attachment but I could have done: #+begin_latex \includegraphics... #+end_latex instead. The nice thing about the babel approach is that you can then edit the latex in a latex (auctex in my case) specific mode within emacs. Further, just being able to have the other features of org at hand (outlining, navigation, inline tasks, markup) makes it worth paying the price of the odd latex code! Some of this is available in auctex, of course, but I find org much more natural: it doesn't get in the way of the content generation, which is what is important after all.