* how to include effort in agenda prefix?
@ 2011-08-17 22:14 Michael Gilbert
From: Michael Gilbert @ 2011-08-17 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all —

I want to be able to skim across my agenda and see effort estimates. I have been looking at the variable org-agenda-prefix-format and wondering if use of the expression evaluation option in there is the way to do it. However, while I have configured this prefix to suit me in other ways, writing a suitable expression to include the effort of the item is beyond my current skills. Any advice?

TIA!

— Michael

* Re: how to include effort in agenda prefix?
@ 2011-08-18  4:17 ` Max Mikhanosha
From: Max Mikhanosha @ 2011-08-18  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8, Size: 656 bytes --]

Use %e format for effort. If it gives you an error you need newer
org-mode, as the patch to fix %e format only got applied recently.

@ 2011-08-18 17:46   ` Michael C Gilbert
From: Michael C Gilbert @ 2011-08-18 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 17, 2011, at 9:17 PM, Max Mikhanosha wrote:

> Use %e format for effort. If it gives you an error you need newer
> org-mode, as the patch to fix %e format only got applied recently.

I do try to keep current, but apparently I missed that! I see it in the docstring, but I don't see its usage explained (in the docstring or in the manual). Am I overlooking it?

Thank you, regardless — exactly what I needed.

@ 2011-08-18 21:01     ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-18 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

Michael C Gilbert wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2011, at 9:17 PM, Max Mikhanosha wrote:
>
>> Use %e format for effort. If it gives you an error you need newer
>> org-mode, as the patch to fix %e format only got applied recently.
>
> I do try to keep current, but apparently I missed that! I see it in the
> docstring, but I don't see its usage explained (in the docstring or in the
> manual). Am I overlooking it?

I confirm the explanation is missing from the doc.

> Thank you, regardless — exactly what I needed.

This is to be used with caution: I had put it in my config file, used by other
Org users, and they experienced immediately an "out-of-args" error, inhibiting
them forever to access the agenda from that point in time.

Cause: they use the stable 7.7, hence do not have that feature accessible.

Though, is there a way to make a unknown format specifier have less
problematic impact on users?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: how to include effort in agenda prefix?
@ 2011-08-19 13:10       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-19 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sébastien,

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

>> I do try to keep current, but apparently I missed that! I see it in the
>> docstring, but I don't see its usage explained (in the docstring or in the
>> manual). Am I overlooking it?
>
> I confirm the explanation is missing from the doc.

Could you provide a patch for that?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: how to include effort in agenda prefix?
@ 2011-08-19 13:17       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-08-19 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

>> I do try to keep current, but apparently I missed that! I see it in the
>> docstring, but I don't see its usage explained (in the docstring or in the
>> manual). Am I overlooking it?
>
> I confirm the explanation is missing from the doc.

I just added a line in the docstring of `org-agenda-prefix-format'.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: how to include effort in agenda prefix?
@ 2011-08-19 14:27         ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2011-08-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>>> I do try to keep current, but apparently I missed that! I see it in the
>>> docstring, but I don't see its usage explained (in the docstring or in the
>>> manual). Am I overlooking it?
>>
>> I confirm the explanation is missing from the doc.
>
> I just added a line in the docstring of `org-agenda-prefix-format'.

If you only leave me less than 7 minutes to do it... I can't ;-)

> Thanks!

Good you did it straight away.

Best regards,
  Seb