From: Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-yank improvement?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:59:13 +0200	[thread overview]

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

Hello,

> Thorsten <quintfall@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> I just posted a proposal how to activate org-indent conditional on the
>> sessions display-type, since the irritating behaviour I had only happens
>> in a console session, so I guess some overlays involved are only visible
>> in X11.
>
> There are no overlays involved in Org Indent mode.
>
> You may want to customize `org-indent-mode-turns-on-hiding-stars' (or
> use #+STARTUP: showstars) instead of completely disabling org-indent for
> console sessions.

Actually, the stars are hidden with this function from org-faces.el, it
seems:

,--------------------------------------------------------------------
| (defface org-hide
|   '((((background light)) (:foreground "white"))
|     (((background dark)) (:foreground "black")))
|   "Face used to hide leading stars in headlines.
| The foreground color of this face should be equal to the background
| color of the frame."
|   :group 'org-faces)
`--------------------------------------------------------------------

so the whole issue might be the following:

when using Emacs on the console (at least in my case), the default
colors (-fg black -bg white) are reverted on the display, i.e. the
background is shown black and the (foreground-)text white. Thats exactly
what I want.

To achieve the same in an X11 session, I added a function
to the server-visit-hook that changes -bg to black and -fg to wheat
when emacsclient visits a server file.

Now what is happening when I open a org-mode buffer in a console
session?

I see a blinking white underscore as cursor/point on a black background.
When I move it over a hidden star, point becomes invisible.
(background-color-at-point) gives nil.
(foreground-color-at-point) gives 'black' instead of nil like in the
other parts of the buffer, and the black cursor on a black background
becomes invisible.

In an X11 session, with point on hidden stars, the hidden star becomes
visible again instead, together with the cursor.
What is the mechanism responsable for that?

--
cheers,
Thorsten