* Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29  6:31 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-29  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I've decided to write my next research article using org's LaTeX
export. The first problem: the journal mandates one column for the
title/author heading and the abstract, while the remainder of the text
should be in two columns.

TeX FAQ recommends the following [1]:

\documentclass[twocolumn]{article}
\begin{document}
... % \author, etc
\twocolumn[
  \begin{@twocolumnfalse}
    \maketitle
    \begin{abstract}
    \end{abstract}
  \end{@twocolumnfalse}
]

I can get very near to that this way:

#+LaTeX: \twocolumn[ \begin{@twocolumnfalse} \maketitle
#+BEGIN_abstract
This is my abstract. This is my abstract.
This is my abstract. This is my abstract.
#+END_abstract
#+LaTeX: \end{@twocolumnfalse} ]

... followed by outline headings marking sections.

The problem is that the "org-latex-title-command" variable places
\maketitle before the \twocolumn[...] bit. I realize I can customize
the variable and make it an empty string, but I'm not sure I want this
to take effect for every document I export to LaTeX.

Is there a way to clear this variable that is local to the buffer?

hjh

[1] http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=onecolabs

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29 12:21 ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-04-29 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is that the "org-latex-title-command" variable places
> \maketitle before the \twocolumn[...] bit. I realize I can customize
> the variable and make it an empty string, but I'm not sure I want this
> to take effect for every document I export to LaTeX.

Does an empty #+TITLE: do what you want?

hth,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29 12:26   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-29 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Apr 29, 2013 8:23 PM, "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > The problem is that the "org-latex-title-command" variable places
> > \maketitle before the \twocolumn[...] bit. I realize I can customize
> > the variable and make it an empty string, but I'm not sure I want this
> > to take effect for every document I export to LaTeX.
>
> Does an empty #+TITLE: do what you want?

No, because I do need the title, but inside the \twocolumn part. I wouldn't
be able to submit the manuscript with no title.

hjh

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29 13:00     ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-04-29 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha James,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 29, 2013 8:23 PM, "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > The problem is that the "org-latex-title-command" variable places
>> > \maketitle before the \twocolumn[...] bit. I realize I can customize
>> > the variable and make it an empty string, but I'm not sure I want this
>> > to take effect for every document I export to LaTeX.
>>
>> Does an empty #+TITLE: do what you want?
>
> No, because I do need the title, but inside the \twocolumn part. I wouldn't
> be able to submit the manuscript with no title.

If you use asynchronous export you can put this in the init.el
initialization file:

(setq org-latex-title-command "")

hth,
Tom

--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29 14:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-04-29 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Thomas S. Dye

Hello,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> On Apr 29, 2013 8:23 PM, "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:
>>
>> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > The problem is that the "org-latex-title-command" variable places
>> > \maketitle before the \twocolumn[...] bit. I realize I can customize
>> > the variable and make it an empty string, but I'm not sure I want this
>> > to take effect for every document I export to LaTeX.
>>
>> Does an empty #+TITLE: do what you want?
>
> No, because I do need the title, but inside the \twocolumn part. I wouldn't
> be able to submit the manuscript with no title.

Try:

  #+BIND: org-latex-title-command ""

This assumes `org-export-allow-bind-keywords' is non-nil.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-29 17:04       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2013-04-29 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: jamshark70, emacs-orgmode

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Try:
>
>   #+BIND: org-latex-title-command ""
>
> This assumes `org-export-allow-bind-keywords' is non-nil.

I couldn't find a reference to this variable in the manual.  I'd suggest
replacing the word `Eventually' with the clause before the first comma
in the paragraph below, or something like it.

  If the variable `org-export-allow-bind-keywords' is non-nil, Emacs
  variables can become buffer-local during export by using the BIND
  keyword. Its syntax is `#+BIND: variable value'. This is particularly
  useful for in-buffer settings that cannot be changed using specific
  keywords.

All the best,
Tom

--

@ 2013-04-29 17:11         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-29 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: jamshark70, emacs-orgmode, Nicolas Goaziou

Hi Thomas,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> I couldn't find a reference to this variable in the manual.  I'd suggest
> replacing the word `Eventually' with the clause before the first comma
> in the paragraph below, or something like it.
>
>   If the variable `org-export-allow-bind-keywords' is non-nil, Emacs
>   variables can become buffer-local during export by using the BIND
>   keyword. Its syntax is `#+BIND: variable value'. This is particularly
>   useful for in-buffer settings that cannot be changed using specific
>   keywords.

Done, thanks.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Buffer-local override of org-latex-title-command?
@ 2013-04-30  1:41       ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-04-30  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode