* List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-11 23:25 Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2013-06-11 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just noticed that the List of Figures is not being generated in 8.0.3.

I have a figure with;

#+LATEX: \listoffigures

#+ATTR_LaTeX: width=5.5cm
#+CAPTION: A Caption Here
#+LABEL: fig:test-figure-1
#+begin_src plantuml :file test-figure-1.png :cmdline -Tpng
plantuml stuff here
#+end_src

I have verified that the png is being generated in 8.0.3.  However the
figure is not being included in the List of Figures.

References to the figure \ref{fig:test-figure-1} will render as ?? in the
Latex output.  There references render as "\ref{fig:test-figure-1}" in the
HTML output.

Works correctly in org-more 7.8.11

Can anyone help?

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-11 23:58 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-11 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Luke!

> I just noticed that the List of Figures is not being generated in 8.0.3.
>
> I have a figure with;
>
> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=5.5cm
> #+CAPTION: A Caption Here
> #+LABEL: fig:test-figure-1
> #+begin_src plantuml :file test-figure-1.png :cmdline -Tpng
> plantuml stuff here
> #+end_src
> I have verified that the png is being generated in 8.0.3.  However the
> figure is not being included in the List of Figures.
>
> References to the figure \ref{fig:test-figure-1} will render as ?? in the
> Latex output.  There references render as "\ref{fig:test-figure-1}" in the
> HTML output.
>
> Works correctly in org-more 7.8.11

It seems you're using v8.0.3. . .

> Can anyone help?

Surely the manual: http://orgmode.org/org.html.

Your example would be something like

#+TOC: figures ## <-- not implemented currently
#+LATEX: \listoffigures

Correlation between the manual and proficiency is displayed in figure
[[fig:test-figure-1]]

#+NAME: gen-correlation
#+begin_src plantuml :file test-figure-1.png :cmdline -Tpng
  <<code which returns test-figure-1.png>>
#+end_src

#+ATTR_LaTeX: :width 5.5cm
#+CAPTION: A Caption Here
#+NAME: fig:test-figure-1
#+RESULTS: gen-correlation
[[file:test-figure-1.png]]

--
m-mm-mmm-mmmm bacon!

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-12 15:53 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Crook; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Luke Crook <luke@balooga.com> writes:

> I just noticed that the List of Figures is not being generated in 8.0.3.
>
> I have a figure with;
>
> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=5.5cm

Maybe try with

#+attr_latex: :width 5.5cm

The format for attributes has changed in version 8 of org.
--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.0.3-193-g334581

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-12 17:21   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2013-06-12 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Luke Crook <luke@balooga.com> writes:
>
>> I just noticed that the List of Figures is not being generated in 8.0.3.
>>
>> I have a figure with;
>>
>> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>>
>> #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=5.5cm
>
> Maybe try with
>
> #+attr_latex: :width 5.5cm
>
> The format for attributes has changed in version 8 of org.

Although this might lead to a problem in how the figure appears on the
page, I believe the main problem was that there was no caption
associated with the image, so it was not put in a figure environment, it
was just inlined: inline images do not contribute to the list of
figures.

As Rasmus pointed out, #+caption was incorrectly associated with the
code block, rather than with the resulting image. The trick is to name
the code block and its results block, using the same name: that ties
them together, so that further execution of the code block does not
produce a new results block. Then you attach #+caption to the results
block:

,----
| #+name: foo
| #+begin_src ...
| #+end_src
|
| #+caption: bar
| #+results: foo
`----

It used to be that the naming was mandatory: the intervening #+caption
line would cause babel to produce a new results block. ISTR that Nicolas
fixed it so that the naming is no longer necessary and babel will DTRT -
IOW, the following will work:

,----
| #+begin_src
| #+end_src
|
| #+caption: bar
| #+results:
`----

I just checked btw, and it does work.

Org-mode version 8.0.3 (release_8.0.3-197-g221768 @ /home/nick/elisp/org-mode/lisp/)
--
Nick

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-12 22:17   ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2013-06-12 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> Hi Luke!
>
> It seems you're using v8.0.3. . .

Thank you for the feedback.  I should have scrubbed my tags pre-8.0 tags to
conform to the post-8.0 world, sorry about that.

The following tags now work as expected.  The "List of Figures" links to
the figure.  I had to add a #+LABEL tag for the \ref{fig-1} to generate the
correct link.

#+NAME: fig-1
#+begin_src plantuml :file fig_1.png :cmdline -Tpng
(*) --> "Test"
#+end_src

#+ATTR_LaTeX: width: 2cm
#+CAPTION: Caption for Figure 1
#+LABEL: fig:fig-1
#+RESULTS: fig-1
[[file:fig_1.png]]

So, everything working again.
Thank you.

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-12 22:55   ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2013-06-12 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> It seems you're using v8.0.3. . .
>
> Your example would be something like

> #+TOC: figures ## <-- not implemented currently
> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>
> The following generates the "List of Figures"

#+TOC: listings

No need for the specific latex tags below it seems, as #+TOC seems to
output correctly in latex now.

#+LATEX: \listoftables
#+LATEX: \listoffigures

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-13  7:46     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-06-13  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> Luke Crook <luke@balooga.com> writes:
>>
>>> I just noticed that the List of Figures is not being generated in 8.0.3.
>>>
>>> I have a figure with;
>>>
>>> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>>>
>>> #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=5.5cm
>>
>> Maybe try with
>>
>> #+attr_latex: :width 5.5cm
>>
>> The format for attributes has changed in version 8 of org.
>
> Although this might lead to a problem in how the figure appears on the
> page, I believe the main problem was that there was no caption
> associated with the image, so it was not put in a figure environment, it
> was just inlined: inline images do not contribute to the list of
> figures.

> As Rasmus pointed out, #+caption was incorrectly associated with the
> code block, rather than with the resulting image.

Indeed!

I had taken the OP's initial problem and changed the src block to a
direct link to a figure so as to try it out.  The interesting thing is
that, with an image, the OP's attr_latex line being wrong leads to no
figure and no figure caption obviously.  Fixing that line allowed the
figure to appear along with caption and table of contents.  I totally
forgot about there being a src block in the original case!

The OP's problem was fundamentally about the wrong place for the
caption and attr_latex lines, as you indicate.

However, it would appear that my experiment highlights a lack of
robustness in the processing of attr_latex lines.  Having the figure
disappear completely because of an error in that line seems a little
drastic.  Unfortunately, trying to fix this is a little beyond me... :(

--

@ 2013-06-13 13:50     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-06-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> It used to be that the naming was mandatory: the intervening #+caption
> line would cause babel to produce a new results block. ISTR that Nicolas
> fixed it so that the naming is no longer necessary and babel will DTRT -
> IOW, the following will work:
>
> ,----
> | #+begin_src
> | #+end_src
> |
> | #+caption: bar
> | #+results:
> `----

Cool; especially the abbreviations!  I remember reading about this
feature but I didn't remember to use it. Thanks!

–Rasmus

--
Together we'll stand, divided we'll fall

* Re: List of Figures not being generated in 8.0.3?
@ 2013-06-14  1:29       ` Luke Crook
From: Luke Crook @ 2013-06-14  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks for highlighting this.  Being able to skip the #+NAME tag in this
situation makes it quite straightforward.