* C-S-up and C-S-down throws an error
@ 2013-10-15 15:19 Oleh
From: Oleh @ 2013-10-15 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org mode

Hi all,

Pressing these key-chords just gives:

user-error: To use shift-selection with Org-mode, customize
`org-support-shift-select'

I don't think that it's very productive to occupy a key binding with a
function that
just says to me that I made an error. Or is it an advertisement for
shift-selection:)?

I've got global windmove bindings on C- arrows, and buffer-move on C-S-
arrows,
so now I have to set specifically:

(define-key org-mode-map [(control shift right)] nil)
(define-key org-mode-map [(control shift left)] nil)
(define-key org-mode-map [(control shift up)] nil)
(define-key org-mode-map [(control shift down)] nil)

I don't feel bad about the other two bindings, because they were actually
doing something
useful, but these two...

I think a way out of this is either enabling `org-support-shift-select' by
default,
or not to bind these key chords. But that's just my opinion.

regards,
Oleh

* Re: C-S-up and C-S-down throws an error
@ 2013-10-16 12:01 ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2013-10-16 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Oleh,

really great timing!  I was just hit by this as well and along comes
your message.

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Pressing these key-chords just gives:
>
> user-error: To use shift-selection with Org-mode, customize
> `org-support-shift-select'
>
> I don't think that it's very productive to occupy a key binding with a
> function that
> just says to me that I made an error. Or is it an advertisement for
> shift-selection:)?

I agree here.

> I've got global windmove bindings on C- arrows, and buffer-move on
> C-S- arrows,
> so now I have to set specifically:
>
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift right)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift left)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift up)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift down)] nil)

Thanks for sharing that.  I am using that right now as well.

> I don't feel bad about the other two bindings, because they were
> actually doing something
> useful, but these two...
>
> I think a way out of this is either enabling
> `org-support-shift-select' by default,
> or not to bind these key chords. But that's just my opinion.

Since it can be circumvented quiet easily I do not have a (too) strong
aversion against these binding any more.   But I agree that these
binding are useless and, thus, should not be set by default.

Regards,
Andreas

* Re: C-S-up and C-S-down throws an error
@ 2013-11-05 17:22 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-11-05 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: org mode

Hi Oleh,

Oleh <ohwoeowho@gmail.com> writes:

> I think a way out of this is either enabling
> `org-support-shift-select' by default,
> or not to bind these key chords. But that's just my opinion.

I agree `org-support-shift-select' should be `t' by default,
maybe Mike's survey will help deciding what's useful.

--
 Bastien