* List of figures
@ 2014-02-22 23:28 Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-22 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Aloha all,

I'm trying to generate a list of figures for LaTeX export.  I thought to
use #+TOC: figures, but this didn't work.

The Org Export Reference Documentation has this:

  “TOC” keyword. It accepts three common values: “headlines”, “tables” and
  “listings”. Also, “headlines” value can have an optional numeric
  argument to specify depth of the contents.

  See org-export-collect-headlines, org-export-collect-tables,
  org-export-collect-figures and org-export-collect-listings.

Two questions:

1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
"figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
should accept this value.

2) Is there some other way to generate a list of figures for LaTeX
export?

All the best,
Tom
--
T.S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists
735 Bishop St, Suite 315, Honolulu, HI 96813

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-23  0:31 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-02-23  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> 1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
> "figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
> should accept this value.

AFAIK it is not supported.  It has puzzled me as well.  It's trivial
to make a patch for ox-latex; the hard part is adding it to other
backends.

> 2) Is there some other way to generate a list of figures for LaTeX
> export?

There's the obvious one:

#+LATEX: \listoffigures

But that's probably not what you're looking for.

As you'll see from org-latex-keyword you can also "cheat" Org by
setting org-latex-listings to nil and use #+TOC: listings.

Hope it helps,
Rasmus

--
May contains speling mistake

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-23 14:18 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-02-23 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> I'm trying to generate a list of figures for LaTeX export.  I thought to
> use #+TOC: figures, but this didn't work.
>
> The Org Export Reference Documentation has this:
>
>   “TOC” keyword. It accepts three common values: “headlines”, “tables” and
>   “listings”. Also, “headlines” value can have an optional numeric
>   argument to specify depth of the contents.
>
>   See org-export-collect-headlines, org-export-collect-tables,
>   org-export-collect-figures and org-export-collect-listings.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
> "figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
> should accept this value.

I had planned to allow "figures" for TOC, but I realized it was
difficult to define what a "figure" is outside of LaTeX.

There is the infrastructure, but it isn't used yet in back-ends.

> 2) Is there some other way to generate a list of figures for LaTeX
> export?

See Rasmus' answer.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-23 17:26   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Aloha Rasmus,

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> 1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
>> "figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
>> should accept this value.
>
> AFAIK it is not supported.  It has puzzled me as well.  It's trivial
> to make a patch for ox-latex; the hard part is adding it to other
> backends.
>
>> 2) Is there some other way to generate a list of figures for LaTeX
>> export?
>
> There's the obvious one:
>
> #+LATEX: \listoffigures
>
> But that's probably not what you're looking for.
>
> As you'll see from org-latex-keyword you can also "cheat" Org by
> setting org-latex-listings to nil and use #+TOC: listings.

Very helpful. Thanks!
--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-23 17:54   ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I'm trying to generate a list of figures for LaTeX export.  I thought to
>> use #+TOC: figures, but this didn't work.
>>
>> The Org Export Reference Documentation has this:
>>
>>   “TOC” keyword. It accepts three common values: “headlines”, “tables” and
>>   “listings”. Also, “headlines” value can have an optional numeric
>>   argument to specify depth of the contents.
>>
>>   See org-export-collect-headlines, org-export-collect-tables,
>>   org-export-collect-figures and org-export-collect-listings.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
>> "figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
>> should accept this value.
>
> I had planned to allow "figures" for TOC, but I realized it was
> difficult to define what a "figure" is outside of LaTeX.
>
> There is the infrastructure, but it isn't used yet in back-ends.

I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.

Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense) and have other
back-ends insert a comment?

Not a big thing, obviously, but I was surprised when it didn't work.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-26 13:50     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-02-26 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode

Hello,

tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
> other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.

Org doesn't cover all LaTeX facilities. There are #+LATEX:
and #+BEGIN_LATEX...#+END_LATEX to fill the gap.

> Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
> perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense)

We can start to discuss what a good implementation could be for major
back-ends. But implementing it for LaTeX only is, IMO, not worth the
trouble:

  #+toc: figures

vs.

  #+latex: \listoffigures

> and have other back-ends insert a comment?

Comments do not always make sense (e.g. ascii).

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-26 16:37       ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-26 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org-mode

Aloha Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
>> other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.
>
> Org doesn't cover all LaTeX facilities. There are #+LATEX:
> and #+BEGIN_LATEX...#+END_LATEX to fill the gap.
>
>> Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
>> perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense)
>
> We can start to discuss what a good implementation could be for major
> back-ends. But implementing it for LaTeX only is, IMO, not worth the
> trouble:
>
>   #+toc: figures
>
> vs.
>
>   #+latex: \listoffigures

AFAICT the new exporter works flawlessly.  I'm confident that it will
let me produce LaTeX to any practical specification.

My original query came about because I was trying to write Org markup
and *not* drop down to LaTeX.  In this context--Org as a lightweight
markup language--the possibility of creating all but one of the
"lists-of" with #+TOC: seems like the markup language core is missing a
piece.

I look forward to the discussion of implementations for the major
back-ends. Let me know if I can help in any way.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-28  1:55         ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-02-28  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode, Nicolas Goaziou

Maybe I am missing something, what would the utility of #+toc: figures be?
Is it only for export?

I would make a link:  [[elisp:org-list-of-figures]] where
org-list-of-figures is an emacs-lisp function that would parse the buffer
and present you with a list of clickable links to the figures. You could
alternatively make this a new org-link, so you could also specify how it
exports, eg.

[[lof:click-me][List of Figures]]

That would be pure org-markup, and make org more useful, and it would also
happen to support LaTeX export too. I guess you would recognize figures as
extensions in the file links.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha Nicolas,
>
> Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > tsd@tsdye.com (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
> >
> >> I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
> >> other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.
> >
> > Org doesn't cover all LaTeX facilities. There are #+LATEX:
> > and #+BEGIN_LATEX...#+END_LATEX to fill the gap.
> >
> >> Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
> >> perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense)
> >
> > We can start to discuss what a good implementation could be for major
> > back-ends. But implementing it for LaTeX only is, IMO, not worth the
> > trouble:
> >
> >   #+toc: figures
> >
> > vs.
> >
> >   #+latex: \listoffigures
>
> AFAICT the new exporter works flawlessly.  I'm confident that it will
> let me produce LaTeX to any practical specification.
>
> My original query came about because I was trying to write Org markup
> and *not* drop down to LaTeX.  In this context--Org as a lightweight
> markup language--the possibility of creating all but one of the
> "lists-of" with #+TOC: seems like the markup language core is missing a
> piece.
>
> I look forward to the discussion of implementations for the major
> back-ends. Let me know if I can help in any way.
>
> All the best,
> Tom
>
> --
> Thomas S. Dye
> http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-28  3:00           ` Thomas S. Dye
From: Thomas S. Dye @ 2014-02-28  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kitchin; +Cc: Org-mode, Nicolas Goaziou

Aloha John,

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Maybe I am missing something, what would the utility of #+toc: figures be?
> Is it only for export?

Yes, it is.

> I would make a link:  [[elisp:org-list-of-figures]] where
> org-list-of-figures is an emacs-lisp function that would parse the buffer
> and present you with a list of clickable links to the figures. You could
> alternatively make this a new org-link, so you could also specify how it
> exports, eg.
>
> [[lof:click-me][List of Figures]]

This is a neat idea. Thanks!

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye
http://www.tsdye.com

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-02-28  9:48           ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2014-02-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

> Maybe I am missing something, what would the utility of #+toc: figures be?
> Is it only for export?
>
> I would make a link:  [[elisp:org-list-of-figures]] where
> org-list-of-figures is an emacs-lisp function that would parse the buffer
> and present you with a list of clickable links to the figures. You could
> alternatively make this a new org-link, so you could also specify how it
> exports, eg.
>
> [[lof:click-me][List of Figures]]
>
> That would be pure org-markup, and make org more useful, and it would also
> happen to support LaTeX export too. I guess you would recognize figures as
> extensions in the file links.

This is more like org-toc.el, though I'm not sure if it can be
configured to pick up figures.

Using org-element it should be at least be relatively easy to pick up
the structure of the document, though I think the reftex/org-toc way
of displaying such structure is superior to something tied to a
specific line in the buffer (I may want to jump to somewhere from the
bottom of my file).

—Rasmus

--
Got mashed potatoes. Ain't got no T-Bone. No T-Bone

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-03-01 23:22             ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-03-01 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas S. Dye; +Cc: Org-mode, Nicolas Goaziou

check out this implementation for tables:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/blog/2014/03/01/Getting-a-list-of-tables-in-an-org-buffer/

John

-----------------------------------

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >     > #+toc: figures
> >     >
> >     > vs.
> >     >
> >     > #+latex: \listoffigures
> >
> >     AFAICT the new exporter works flawlessly. I'm confident that it
> >     will
> >     let me produce LaTeX to any practical specification.
> >
> >     My original query came about because I was trying to write Org
> >     markup
> >     and *not* drop down to LaTeX. In this context--Org as a
> >     lightweight
> >     markup language--the possibility of creating all but one of the
> >     "lists-of" with #+TOC: seems like the markup language core is
> >     missing a
> >     piece.
> >
> >     I look forward to the discussion of implementations for the major
> >     back-ends. Let me know if I can help in any way.

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-03-02  8:13               ` Andreas Leha
From: Andreas Leha @ 2014-03-02  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi John,

this is really nice!  Thanks for sharing.

- Andreas

* Re: List of figures
@ 2014-03-02 15:13                 ` John Kitchin
From: John Kitchin @ 2014-03-02 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)