* org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-13 20:49 Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-05-13 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi, I would like to use org-edit-src-code outside of org, I think it
would be very handy in Message mode, to send messages that contain code
and edit that code in the proper mode.

I put something like this

     #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
       (defun mm-org-try-structure-completion ()
         (interactive)
         (if (not (org-try-structure-completion))
             (message-tab)))
       (eval-after-load "message"
         '(progn
            (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "<tab>")
            'mm-org-try-structure-completion)))
     #+END_SRC

which allows me now to do <'a letter' and hit <tab> and get a the proper
source block just as in org.

I can enter the editing of the source block without problems with
org-edit-src-code (which I plan to bind to C-c ', just as in org),
however when I am want to close the editing and go back to the message
buffer it fails, specifically the part of org-edit-src-exit that says:

     #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
       (unless (org-bound-and-true-p org-edit-src-from-org-mode)
          (error "This is not a sub-editing buffer, something is wrong"))
     #+END_SRC

Is there a particular reason why the code has to check to see if it is
coming from org-mode? Shouldn't it be enough that already the
org-in-block-p was passed?

If I evaluate the function definition of org-edit-src-exit without the
last part everything works as expect, I can exit with C-c ' and the code
is there. Even doing C-x C-s before exiting works as well.

Best,

Jorge.

PS: What is the alternative when you write messages with code, do you
guys first write it in org and then copy and yank it?

* Re: org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-13 20:58 ` Ken Mankoff
From: Ken Mankoff @ 2014-05-13 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Jorge,

mu4e has an option to edit mail messages in Org mode. You can insert and
execute code blocks, etc. See example at bottom of this blog post:
http://www.brool.com/index.php/using-mu4e

  -k.

@ 2014-05-13 21:12   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-05-13 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Thanks Ken, I wonder if there is already something like that in Message
mode. I like gnus a lot, so I do not think that I am going to change to
mu4e just for that =)

* Re: org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-14 13:44 ` Hubert Chathi
From: Hubert Chathi @ 2014-05-14 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Tue, 13 May 2014 16:49:57 -0400, jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) said:

> Hi, I would like to use org-edit-src-code outside of org, I think it
> would be very handy in Message mode, to send messages that contain
> code and edit that code in the proper mode.

[...]

I've been thinking that something like org-edit-src-code might be a
useful alternative to some of the multiple-major-modes tools.

--
Hubert Chathi - Email/Jabber: hubert@uhoreg.ca - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 4096R/113A1368 (Key available at pool.sks-keyservers.net)

* Re: org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-17  6:33   ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-05-17  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I figure it out, I am updating the variable that causes problems and it
is working very well so in case you want to use org-edit-src-code in
Message mode all is needed is:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (eval-after-load "message"
    '(progn
       (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "<tab>")
         (lambda ()
           (interactive)
           (if (not (org-try-structure-completion))
               (message-tab))))
       (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "C-c '")
         (lambda ()
           (interactive)
           (org-edit-src-code)
           (setq-local org-edit-src-from-org-mode t)))))
#+END_SRC

I just used it right now =)

Jorge.

* Re: org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-17  8:23     ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-05-17  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 2014-05-17 08:33 Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo wrote:
> I figure it out, I am updating the variable that causes problems and it
> is working very well so in case you want to use org-edit-src-code in
> Message mode all is needed is:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
>   (eval-after-load "message"
>     '(progn
>        (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "<tab>")
>          (lambda ()
>            (interactive)
>            (if (not (org-try-structure-completion))
>                (message-tab))))
>        (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "C-c '")
>          (lambda ()
>            (interactive)
>            (org-edit-src-code)
>            (setq-local org-edit-src-from-org-mode t)))))
> #+END_SRC
>
> I just used it right now =)

This has been bugging me for quite some time now, thank you very much
for this, it works like it's supposed to! :)

Alexander Baier

* Re: org-edit-src-code outside of org
@ 2014-05-27  8:32 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2014-05-27  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Hi, I would like to use org-edit-src-code outside of org, I think it
> would be very handy in Message mode, to send messages that contain code
> and edit that code in the proper mode.

This can be done with outshine.el and outorg.el.
Install them as described in the docs and then add

,------------------------------------------------------------
| (when (require 'outline nil t)
| (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'outline-minor-mode))
|
| (require 'outshine nil t)
| (add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook 'outshine-hook-function)
|
| (setq outshine-use-speed-commands t)
`------------------------------------------------------------

M-# M-# will then convert your message-mode buffer to full Org-mode, M-#
will copy the changes back to message-mode. As a proof of concept, I
attach this mail exported to ASCII by evaluating the following
source-block directly in the outorg-edit-buffer:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
 (org-export-as 'ascii)
#+end_src

#+results: