* how to export to HTML keeping the whitespaces
@ 2014-12-01  0:18 jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-12-01  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello:

I want to export to HTML and keep the white spaces.
Normally, I have to do skip a line (two newline characters) or use
#+begin_verse... #+end_verse.
Which is not optimal. The two new lines take up too much space, and the
begin/end verse don't export in the same to way to HTML as it does to
text.
To HTML it keep the indentation corresponding to its location in the
tree, and to text it has a constant indentation (indentation it gives to
verse i think).
So what is the proper way to do this? How do I instruct org-export to
keep the whitespaces?

Thanks very much in advnace for your time and kind help.

* Re: how to export to HTML keeping the whitespaces
@ 2014-12-01  1:39 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-01  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:

> Hello:
>
> I want to export to HTML and keep the white spaces.
> Normally, I have to do skip a line (two newline characters) or use
> #+begin_verse... #+end_verse.
> Which is not optimal. The two new lines take up too much space, and the
> begin/end verse don't export in the same to way to HTML as it does to
> text.
> To HTML it keep the indentation corresponding to its location in the
> tree, and to text it has a constant indentation (indentation it gives to
> verse i think).
> So what is the proper way to do this? How do I instruct org-export to
> keep the whitespaces?
>
> Thanks very much in advnace for your time and kind help.

Take a look at the docstring for the org-export-preserve-breaks
variable. That ought to do it, and you can set it per-file in the export
options.

Eric

* Re: how to export to HTML keeping the whitespaces
@ 2014-12-01  4:11   ` jenia.ivlev
From: jenia.ivlev @ 2014-12-01  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I want to export to HTML and keep the white spaces.
>> Normally, I have to do skip a line (two newline characters) or use
>> #+begin_verse... #+end_verse.
>> Which is not optimal. The two new lines take up too much space, and the
>> begin/end verse don't export in the same to way to HTML as it does to
>> text.
>> To HTML it keep the indentation corresponding to its location in the
>> tree, and to text it has a constant indentation (indentation it gives to
>> verse i think).
>> So what is the proper way to do this? How do I instruct org-export to
>> keep the whitespaces?
>>
>> Thanks very much in advnace for your time and kind help.
>
> Take a look at the docstring for the org-export-preserve-breaks
> variable. That ought to do it, and you can set it per-file in the export
> options.
>
> Eric

Thanks.
I set (org-export-preserve-breaks t) in .emacs file and it does preserve
the breaks, but not the white spaces: it doesnt indent depending on the
nesting in the org-tree, and it doesnt indent if I press
<space>. The text is shown to the left mode of the
screen.

Is there a way to change that?

* Re: how to export to HTML keeping the whitespaces
@ 2014-12-01  4:57     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-12-01  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:

>> jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I want to export to HTML and keep the white spaces.
>>> Normally, I have to do skip a line (two newline characters) or use
>>> #+begin_verse... #+end_verse.
>>> Which is not optimal. The two new lines take up too much space, and the
>>> begin/end verse don't export in the same to way to HTML as it does to
>>> text.
>>> To HTML it keep the indentation corresponding to its location in the
>>> tree, and to text it has a constant indentation (indentation it gives to
>>> verse i think).
>>> So what is the proper way to do this? How do I instruct org-export to
>>> keep the whitespaces?
>>>
>>> Thanks very much in advnace for your time and kind help.
>>
>> Take a look at the docstring for the org-export-preserve-breaks
>> variable. That ought to do it, and you can set it per-file in the export
>> options.
>>
>> Eric
>

> Thanks.
> I set (org-export-preserve-breaks t) in .emacs file and it does preserve
> the breaks, but not the white spaces: it doesnt indent depending on the
> nesting in the org-tree, and it doesnt indent if I press
> <space>. The text is shown to the left mode of the
> screen.
>
> Is there a way to change that?

I don't think so, no. That's a fundamental property of the way HTML (and
Latex) behave: they collapse all whitespace to single spaces, and single
paragraph breaks. As far as I know, the only way to get what you want is
a verbatim block, ie a <pre> tag in HTML, and as you discovered that
comes with other unwanted display properties.

It's possible you could build something up with non-breaking spaces, but
that sounds awful.

Eric

* Re: how to export to HTML keeping the whitespaces
@ 2014-12-02  9:35     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-12-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jenia.ivlev; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:

>> jenia.ivlev@gmail.com (jenia.ivlev) writes:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> I want to export to HTML and keep the white spaces.
>>> Normally, I have to do skip a line (two newline characters) or use
>>> #+begin_verse... #+end_verse.
>>> Which is not optimal. The two new lines take up too much space, and the
>>> begin/end verse don't export in the same to way to HTML as it does to
>>> text.
>>> To HTML it keep the indentation corresponding to its location in the
>>> tree, and to text it has a constant indentation (indentation it gives to
>>> verse i think).
>>> So what is the proper way to do this? How do I instruct org-export to
>>> keep the whitespaces?
>>>
>>> Thanks very much in advnace for your time and kind help.
>>
>> Take a look at the docstring for the org-export-preserve-breaks
>> variable. That ought to do it, and you can set it per-file in the export
>> options.
>>
>> Eric
>

> Thanks.
> I set (org-export-preserve-breaks t) in .emacs file and it does preserve
> the breaks, but not the white spaces: it doesnt indent depending on the
> nesting in the org-tree, and it doesnt indent if I press
> <space>. The text is shown to the left mode of the
> screen.
>
> Is there a way to change that?

You can try

  (defun my-html-nobreak-space-filter (text backend info)
    (and (org-export-derived-backend-p backend 'html)
         (replace-regexp-in-string " " "&nbsp;" text)))

  (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-plain-text-functions
               #'my-html-nobreak-space-filter)

Nicolas Goaziou