From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: New feature? Remove duplicate subheadings, preserving order
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 19:26:22 +0100	[thread overview]

Allen Li <vianchielfaura@gmail.com> writes:

> Org mode is fundamentally an outliner, and one often makes lists with
> an outliner.  Filtering out duplicates from a list seems to me like a
> common need.

AFAIK, this is the first time this need is expressed on this ML. There
is no equivalent in "org-list.el" either.

Anyway, I'm not questioning the usefulness of the feature in your
workflow. AIUI, in your implementation, duplicates are headlines with
the same title, but without considering TODO keyword, priority, comment
status, tags or contents. So,

  * DONE Summary :Alice:
  * TODO Summary :Bob:

are duplicates. Isn't it a bit too tolerant? We may be able to find
a more general function that still suits you.

> I wrote such a command to support some of my work flows, and I posted
> this here because I think there is a possibility that other Org users
> might also find it useful.

You didn't answer to any of my suggestions, tho. Are they fundamentally
wrong? I.e., wouldn't warning instead of deleting more useful? Or would
it make more sense to include contents when looking for duplicates ? In
the latter case, maybe a prefix argument could toggle headline check and
full check.