* Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-26 15:10 Daryl Manning
From: Daryl Manning @ 2019-05-26 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced notice on
some peoples' birthdays coming up.

Right now, I use the following in a `cal.org` file to give me notice in
agenda that birthdays are coming up:

```
* BDays
    :bday:
%%(org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY")
```

The generally feeds off a `contacts.org` entry of the nature:

```
*** John Wick
:PROPERTIES:
:EMAIL: therealjdub@notthepuppy.com
:BIRTHDAY: 1975-06-06
:END:
```

What I'd like is to get, on virtually all birthdays , a week's notice
through due soon (which I'll sort out in org-super-agenda in the view).
Alternatively, is there a nicer way to tag or otherwise note some birthdays
in the `contacts.org` so that I could note special people (close friends,
family, etc) where I could set a specific advanced notice period so that I
have time to do something special for them etc?

Would love to hear peoples' approaches to this. In general, if I'm not
looking out 2 weeks ahead (I spend most time in the day view), I can get
surprised.

thanks!
Daryl.

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-27 11:25 ` Neil Jerram
From: Neil Jerram @ 2019-05-27 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daryl Manning; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Sun, 26 May 2019, 16:12 Daryl Manning, <dwm+orgmode@wakatara.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced notice on
> some peoples' birthdays coming up.
>
> Right now, I use the following in a `cal.org` file to give me notice in
> agenda that birthdays are coming up:
>
> ```
> * BDays
>       :bday:
> %%(org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY")
> ```
>
> The generally feeds off a `contacts.org` entry of the nature:
>
> ```
> *** John Wick
> :PROPERTIES:
> :EMAIL: therealjdub@notthepuppy.com
> :BIRTHDAY: 1975-06-06
> :END:
> ```
>
> What I'd like is to get, on virtually all birthdays , a week's notice
> through due soon (which I'll sort out in org-super-agenda in the view).
> Alternatively, is there a nicer way to tag or otherwise note some birthdays
> in the `contacts.org` so that I could note special people (close friends,
> family, etc) where I could set a specific advanced notice period so that I
> have time to do something special for them etc?
>
> Would love to hear peoples' approaches to this. In general, if I'm not
> looking out 2 weeks ahead (I spend most time in the day view), I can get
> surprised.
>
> thanks!
> Daryl.

Hi Daryl,

I have a TODO item for each of my family's birthdays, with a deadline for
the birthday day and a repeater of +1y. Then Org Agenda automatically gives
me about two weeks' notice of that approaching.

There's no integration here with another contacts system, but I find that
this works well for me.

Best wishes,
    Neil

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-27 18:17   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2019-05-27 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Neil Jerram; +Cc: Org Mode List, Daryl Manning

On 2019-05-27, at 13:25, Neil Jerram <neiljerram@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 26 May 2019, 16:12 Daryl Manning, <dwm+orgmode@wakatara.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced notice on
>> some peoples' birthdays coming up.
>>
>> Right now, I use the following in a `cal.org` file to give me notice in
>> agenda that birthdays are coming up:
>>
>> ```
>> * BDays
>>       :bday:
>> %%(org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY")
>> ```
>>
>> The generally feeds off a `contacts.org` entry of the nature:
>>
>> ```
>> *** John Wick
>> :PROPERTIES:
>> :EMAIL: therealjdub@notthepuppy.com
>> :BIRTHDAY: 1975-06-06
>> :END:
>> ```
>>
>> What I'd like is to get, on virtually all birthdays , a week's notice
>> through due soon (which I'll sort out in org-super-agenda in the view).
>> Alternatively, is there a nicer way to tag or otherwise note some birthdays
>> in the `contacts.org` so that I could note special people (close friends,
>> family, etc) where I could set a specific advanced notice period so that I
>> have time to do something special for them etc?
>>
>> Would love to hear peoples' approaches to this. In general, if I'm not
>> looking out 2 weeks ahead (I spend most time in the day view), I can get
>> surprised.
>>
>> thanks!
>> Daryl.
>>

> Hi Daryl,
>
> I have a TODO item for each of my family's birthdays, with a deadline for
> the birthday day and a repeater of +1y. Then Org Agenda automatically gives
> me about two weeks' notice of that approaching.
>
> There's no integration here with another contacts system, but I find that
> this works well for me.

Almost same here, only that I don't mark those "TODO", but just make
a headline with an (active) timestamp.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-28  2:05 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2019-05-28  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Daryl Manning <dwm+orgmode@wakatara.com> writes:

> I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced notice on some peoples' birthdays coming up.
>
> Right now, I use the following in a `cal.org` file to give me notice in agenda that birthdays are coming up:
>
> ```
> * BDays                                                                         :bday:
> %%(org-contacts-anniversaries "BIRTHDAY")
> ```
>
> The generally feeds off a `contacts.org` entry of the nature:
>
> ```
> *** John Wick
> :PROPERTIES:
> :EMAIL: therealjdub@notthepuppy.com
> :BIRTHDAY: 1975-06-06
> :END:
> ```
>
> What I'd like is to get, on virtually all birthdays , a week's notice through due soon (which I'll sort out in org-super-agenda in the view). Alternatively, is there a nicer way to tag or
> otherwise note some birthdays in the `contacts.org` so that I could note special people (close friends, family, etc) where I could set a specific advanced notice period so that I have time
> to do something special for them etc?
>
> Would love to hear peoples' approaches to this. In general, if I'm not looking out 2 weeks ahead (I spend most time in the day view), I can get surprised.

I use bbdb, not org-contacts, and I have this in one of my agenda files:

* Anniversaries
       :PROPERTIES:
       :CATEGORY: Anniv
       :ID:       409062f6-6cb1-467f-b192-2dfcb7b384ca
       :END:
%%(org-bbdb-anniversaries-future)

That gives me the default 7 days of warning, but you can pass an
argument to it to specify the number of days of warning.

The function is fairly generic, so it should be possible to adapt it
to org-contacts with some modifications.

--
Nick

"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache
invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors." -Martin Fowler

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-28  2:34   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-05-28  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

> Daryl Manning <dwm+orgmode@wakatara.com> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to come up with a better way to give myself advanced
>> notice on some peoples' birthdays coming up.

And (shameless plug) if you're using EBDB, you can set both
`ebdb-use-diary' and `org-agenda-include-diary' to t, and anniversaries
will show in the agenda.

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-28  6:38     ` Alan Schmitt
From: Alan Schmitt @ 2019-05-28  6:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Eric,

On 2019-05-28 04:34, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
writes:

> And (shameless plug) if you're using EBDB, you can set both
> `ebdb-use-diary' and `org-agenda-include-diary' to t, and
> anniversaries
> will show in the agenda.

Thank you for the plug, I've been wanting to look at EBDB for a
while. I
have a few questions: is it easy to migrate data from BBDB? Can
you have
org links to EBDB records? Does it work with mu4e for address
completion?

Thanks,

Alan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Advance notice of birthdays in org-mode via org-contacts
@ 2019-05-28 16:31       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2019-05-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Alan Schmitt <alan.schmitt@polytechnique.org> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 2019-05-28 04:34, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>
>> And (shameless plug) if you're using EBDB, you can set both
>> `ebdb-use-diary' and `org-agenda-include-diary' to t, and
>> anniversaries
>> will show in the agenda.
>
> Thank you for the plug, I've been wanting to look at EBDB for a while.
> have a few questions: is it easy to migrate data from BBDB? Can you
> have
> org links to EBDB records? Does it work with mu4e for address
> completion?

Glad you're considering it! EBDB will migrate automatically from
versions 2 or 3 of BBDB (it is slow, but you only have to do it once),
you just have to have the `bbdb-file' variable pointing to a valid BBDB
file, then call `ebdb-open'.

It supports org links, either to single records, or to record searches:
following a link like "ebdb:mail/@gnu.org" will search for all records
with Gnu email addresses. You can also tag your records with org tags,
and pop up an EBDB window alongside a tag agenda search, for instance.

In theory it supports mu4e, but I think you would be the first user, if
you tried it, so beware! :)

Eric