From: Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com>
To: David Rogers <davidandrewrogers@gmail.com>
Cc: , emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: keep org drawers visible
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2020 19:45:19 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear David,

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Property drawers remaining invisible even when I use
    >> <shift>-<TAB> drives me nuts. I know about M-x
    >> org-hide-drawer-toggle <RET> but how do I keep the drawers open
    >> all the time without having to toggle? I work on the basis that I
    >> want to see what I write - if I didn't then I wouldn't have
    >> written it.

    > It’s also possible, if you want finer control of what’s shown
    > (instead of showing all the properties), to add a 'columnview'
    > block. It would show a formatted table of whichever properties you
    > specify (from certain subtrees or from the entire file), arranged
    > in the order you choose. It’s under “Capturing column view” in the
    > manual. I seem not to keep the types of information that benefit
    > from it, but it’s there.

That is an excellent suggestion. I have only used column view for clock
times and efforts, not imagining that it could be used for something as
simple as revealing the PROPERTY drawers. Of course, I'll either have to
rationalise my PROPERTIES (at present, no two headings have the exactly
the same drawers) or stack headings with same PROPERTIES. That will be a
good exercise.

Thank you again. I would never have thought of something so simple and
elegant.

Best wishes,

Colin Baxter
GnuPG fingerprint: 68A8 799C 0230 16E7 BF68  2A27 BBFA 2492 91F5 41C8