* How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20  2:00 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2021-03-20  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20  2:37 ` Timothy
From: Timothy @ 2021-03-20  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> So in that example how do I jump, using the keyboard only, from the
> misspelled apples to the misspelled oranges so that I can correct them?

With a package like spell-fu or flyspell you'll be able to find a
command like `spell-fu-goto-previous-error'. Bind that to some
keybinding and there you go :)

--
Timothy

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20  2:44 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-03-20  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sharon Kimble writes:

> When I'm writing in org-mode I very often make spelling mistakes which I
> can go back to later to correct. So how can I jump from one mistake to
> the next please?

If you have Flyspell mode enabled in the buffer,
flyspell-goto-next-error (bound to `C-,' by default) will jump to the
next marked word, cycling around once you've reached the last marked
word in the buffer.

There's also `M-x ispell', which provides an interface for going through
misspelled words and presents you with suggestions.

See (info "(emacs)Spelling") for more information.

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20  3:08   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2021-03-20  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sharon Kimble

i wonder why the generic next-error is not used.

On 3/19/21, Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> wrote:
> Sharon Kimble writes:
>
>> When I'm writing in org-mode I very often make spelling mistakes which I
>> can go back to later to correct. So how can I jump from one mistake to
>> the next please?
>
> If you have Flyspell mode enabled in the buffer,
> flyspell-goto-next-error (bound to `C-,' by default) will jump to the
> next marked word, cycling around once you've reached the last marked
> word in the buffer.
>
> There's also `M-x ispell', which provides an interface for going through
> misspelled words and presents you with suggestions.
>
> See (info "(emacs)Spelling") for more information.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

Please learn what misopathy is.
https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com/2013/10/why-some-diseases-are-wronged.html

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20  3:55     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2021-03-20  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sharon Kimble

Samuel Wales writes:

> i wonder why the generic next-error is not used.

Hmm, good question.  Ignoring any historical reasons for why flyspell
does what it does, a quick search on the Emacs lists makes me think at
least one open issue is how to prioritize/combine different next-error
sources:

 * https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-04/msg00207.html
   87zi2esn7l.fsf@mail.linkov.net

 * https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=30674#8
   87a7vkrelc.fsf@mail.linkov.net

That's getting a bit off-topic for the Org mode list though...

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20 12:29   ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2021-03-20 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Sharon Kimble

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Sharon Kimble writes:
>
>> When I'm writing in org-mode I very often make spelling mistakes which I
>> can go back to later to correct. So how can I jump from one mistake to
>> the next please?
>
> If you have Flyspell mode enabled in the buffer,
> flyspell-goto-next-error (bound to `C-,' by default) will jump to the
> next marked word, cycling around once you've reached the last marked
> word in the buffer.

I typically use flyspell-mode along with control-lock-mode (M-x
control-lock-enable), then I simply hit , to jump to the next word and .
to cycle the corrections.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to jump from one spelling mistake to the next?
@ 2021-03-20 12:33     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-03-20 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Sat, Mar 20 2021, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:
>
>> Sharon Kimble writes:
>>
>>> When I'm writing in org-mode I very often make spelling mistakes which I
>>> can go back to later to correct. So how can I jump from one mistake to
>>> the next please?
>>
>> If you have Flyspell mode enabled in the buffer,
>> flyspell-goto-next-error (bound to `C-,' by default) will jump to the
>> next marked word, cycling around once you've reached the last marked
>> word in the buffer.

Also, if you have flyspell-mode enabled, `C-;` is bound to
`flyspell-auto-correct-previous-word`. It'll correct the last misspelled word
preceding point (though there may be correctly spelled words between point and
the misspelled word). Type `C-;` multiple times to cycle through different
correction suggestions. Because you don't need to move back to the misspelled
word to correct it, you can correct words while you type without interrupting
the flow too much.

YMMV, of course.

--
Joost Kremers