From: Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org>
To: andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Restructure my org-life
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:47:28 -0400	[thread overview]

andrea <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like then to know how you organize your data to get some ideas.
> Now I have a directory
>
> $HOME/org
>
> where I have files like
>
> work.org
> personal.org
>
> and some small projects/ideas that don't have a position yet somewhere
> else.
>
> In plus in my projects I try to put always a README.org that keeps the
> main informations and links to other docs.
>
> That's working fine but now I have too many org files, and I lose a lot
> of time visiting them every time, looking for where to insert some info
> and finally insert what I wanted to write.

A quick question: Are you using the agenda? IMO, the number of org files
you use doesn't really matter, since the agenda will gather the relevant
information from all of them and since you can jump directly from the
agenda to the corresponding point in your files.

I'd also recommend using org-refile to move things from one file and/or
headline to another. Similarly, the agenda search commands make it very
easy to find data in your files.

As a point of comparison, I have 21 files contributing to my agenda at
the moment.

You might want to consult the following tips on Worg:

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-glossary.php#sec-3.3

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#how-to-organize-org-mode-files

Hope this helps.
Matt