* default browser - SOLVED
@ 2010-02-25 18:18 Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-02-25 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dear fellow org-moders,

this is what was suggested to me:

(setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
(setq browse-url-generic-program "chromium-browser")

works perfectly on Ubuntu Karmic + Emacs 23.1.1.

Again, thanks for org-mode.

--
Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

* Re: default browser - SOLVED
@ 2010-02-25 18:58 ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2010-02-25 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henri-Paul Indiogine; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Henri-Paul,

thanks for summarizing here in the mailing list, this creates
a searchable record of a good answer!

Best wishes

- Carsten

On Feb 25, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Henri-Paul Indiogine wrote:

> Dear fellow org-moders,
>
> this is what was suggested to me:
>
> (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
> (setq browse-url-generic-program "chromium-browser")
>
> works perfectly on Ubuntu Karmic + Emacs 23.1.1.
>
> Again, thanks for org-mode.
>

> --
> Henri-Paul Indiogine
> Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

- Carsten

* Re: default browser - SOLVED
@ 2010-02-26 10:48   ` Daniel Martins
       [not found]     ` <3332.1267198545@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-02-26 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thank you Henry-Paul,

You solved for me a quite annoying issue related to org that I could not
solve!

For those who use firefox these two lines become:

(setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
(setq browse-url-generic-program "firefox")

Simply copy and paste it!!

2010/2/25 Carsten Dominik <carsten.dominik@gmail.com>

> Hi Henri-Paul,
>
> thanks for summarizing here in the mailing list, this creates
> a searchable record of a good answer!
>
> Best wishes
>
> - Carsten
>

> On Feb 25, 2010, at 7:18 PM, Henri-Paul Indiogine wrote:
>
>  Dear fellow org-moders,
>>
>> this is what was suggested to me:
>>
>> (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
>> (setq browse-url-generic-program "chromium-browser")
>>
>> works perfectly on Ubuntu Karmic + Emacs 23.1.1.
>>
>> Again, thanks for org-mode.
>>

>> --
>> Henri-Paul Indiogine
>> Email: hindiogine@gmail.com

> - Carsten

* Re: default browser - SOLVED
       [not found]     ` <3332.1267198545@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
@ 2010-02-26 17:06       ` Daniel Martins
From: Daniel Martins @ 2010-02-26 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nicholas.dokos; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Carsten Dominik

Thanks Nick,

> Most (?) browsers have a remote URL capability: you can send a URL to an
> already running instance and it will just open it, without going through
> the overhead of creating another instance.

For me it seems strange this behaviour.

When I have firefox already open, it creates another tab for the URL and
does not open a new firefox instance.

Daniel

* Re: default browser - SOLVED
       [not found]     ` <3332.1267198545@gamaville.dokosmarshall.org>
@ 2010-02-26 22:03     ` Matt Lundin
From: Matt Lundin @ 2010-02-26 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Daniel Martins <danielemc@gmail.com> writes:

> You solved for me a quite annoying issue related to org that I could
> not solve!
>
> For those who use firefox these two lines become:
>
> (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
> (setq browse-url-generic-program "firefox")
>
> Simply copy and paste it!!

Rather than browse-url-generic, I use the built-in browse-url-firefox:

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)
(setq browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)

The second setting ensures that links are opened in new tabs if firefox
is running.

Best,
Matt

* Re: Re: default browser - SOLVED
@ 2010-02-27 21:09       ` Henri-Paul Indiogine
From: Henri-Paul Indiogine @ 2010-02-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>> (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
>> (setq browse-url-generic-program "firefox")
>
> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)
> (setq browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
>
> The second setting ensures that links are opened in new tabs if firefox
> is running.

How about clicking on a URL in org-mode or other text file and having
w3m pop-up?

Henri-Paul Indiogine
Email: hindiogine@gmail.com
Skype: hindiogine
Website: http://www.coe.tamu.edu/~enrico

* Re: default browser - SOLVED
@ 2010-02-28  8:25         ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2010-02-28  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Henri-Paul Indiogine <hindiogine@gmail.com> writes:

> Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:
>>> (setq browse-url-browser-function (quote browse-url-generic))
>>> (setq browse-url-generic-program "firefox")
>>
>> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-firefox)
>> (setq browse-url-firefox-new-window-is-tab t)
>>
>> The second setting ensures that links are opened in new tabs if firefox
>> is running.
>
> How about clicking on a URL in org-mode or other text file and having
> w3m pop-up?
>
> Thanks,

Customize browse-url-browser-function.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BrowseUrl