* [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-08 21:56 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-08 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi,

I've tried enhancing my capture template for Gnus mail, by using the
=%:author= variable:

                  ("m" "Mail" entry
                   (file+headline "~/Personal/refile.org" "Tasks")
                   "* TODO %:subject (%:author)
   SCHEDULED: %^t

%i
From %a"
                   :empty-lines 1 :immediate-finish)

Problem: it always is empty...

=%:from= does work, but is much less desirable, with name *and* email
address being concatenated...

Any idea?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-09 12:26 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>Hi,

>I've tried enhancing my capture template for Gnus mail, by using the
>=%:author= variable:

AFAIK %:author is not a defined property Gnus links (Cf. Manual,
9.1.3.2 Template expansion).  You can use %:fromname to insert the
name of the message author.  The only problem is, that this property
might be empty as well if the From: address does not include a real
name.

HTH,
  -- David
--
OpenPGP... 0x99ADB83B5A4478E6
Jabber.... dmjena@jabber.org

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 230 bytes --]

* Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-09 13:03   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-09 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi David,

David Maus wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> I've tried enhancing my capture template for Gnus mail, by using the
>> =%:author= variable:
>
> AFAIK %:author is not a defined property Gnus links (Cf. Manual,
> 9.1.3.2 Template expansion).

Euh... I took it from the doc itself. See `C-h v org-capture-templates':

    [...]

    Apart from these general escapes, you can access information specific to
    the link type that is created. For example, calling `org-capture' in
    emails or gnus will record the author and the subject of the message,
    which you can access with "%:author" and "%:subject", respectively.
                               ^^^^^^^^

> You can use %:fromname to insert the name of the message author. The only
> problem is, that this property might be empty as well if the From: address
> does not include a real name.

That works. Thanks!

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-12 16:46     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-12 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>Hi David,

>David Maus wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>>> I've tried enhancing my capture template for Gnus mail, by using the
>>> =%:author= variable:
>>
>> AFAIK %:author is not a defined property Gnus links (Cf. Manual,
>> 9.1.3.2 Template expansion).

>Euh... I took it from the doc itself. See `C-h v org-capture-templates':

>    [...]

>    Apart from these general escapes, you can access information specific to
>    the link type that is created. For example, calling `org-capture' in
>    emails or gnus will record the author and the subject of the message,
>    which you can access with "%:author" and "%:subject", respectively.
>                               ^^^^^^^^

True enough.  Fixed the doc string.

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-15  9:43       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-15  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi David,

David Maus wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> David Maus wrote:
>>>
>>> AFAIK %:author is not a defined property Gnus links (Cf. Manual,
>>> 9.1.3.2 Template expansion).
>
>> Euh... I took it from the doc itself. See `C-h v org-capture-templates'.
>
> True enough.  Fixed the doc string.

I've tried =%:date= for capturing the date of the email. That does not work.
Is there an alternative to do so?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-19 21:59   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-19 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

Hi,

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>>I've tried enhancing my capture template for Gnus mail, by using the
>>=%:author= variable:
>
> AFAIK %:author is not a defined property Gnus links (Cf. Manual,
> 9.1.3.2 Template expansion).  You can use %:fromname to insert the
> name of the message author.  The only problem is, that this property
> might be empty as well if the From: address does not include a real
> name.

I fixed the docstring of `org-remember-templates', which was mentionning
%:author for Gnus links.  Thanks for spotting this!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-19 22:13         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-19 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> I've tried =%:date= for capturing the date of the email. That does not
> work.

It should now.  Thanks,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-20  8:04           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-20  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>> I've tried =%:date= for capturing the date of the email. That does not
>> work.
>
> It should now.  Thanks,

I have tested it, it does what it should. Thanks to *you* for helping me/us...

Though I had something in mind, that's effectively not expressed above: I'd
like to get that date in the Org format, so that I can use it as a proper
Org timestamp in entries:

* TODO Answer mail of Bastien
  [2010-09-20 Mon 00:13]

Would that request be feasible and accepted by you?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-22  9:36             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-22  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Though I had something in mind, that's effectively not expressed above: I'd
> like to get that date in the Org format, so that I can use it as a proper
> Org timestamp in entries:
>
> * TODO Answer mail of Bastien
>   [2010-09-20 Mon 00:13]
>
> Would that request be feasible and accepted by you?

You can now use %:org-date for Gnus links on messages.  Slight
difference with your proposal, the output is of the form:

<2010-09-20 Mon 00:13>

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-22 20:02               ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-22 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Though I had something in mind, that's effectively not expressed above: I'd
>> like to get that date in the Org format, so that I can use it as a proper
>> Org timestamp in entries:
>>
>> * TODO Answer mail of Bastien
>>   [2010-09-20 Mon 00:13]
>>
>> Would that request be feasible and accepted by you?
>
> You can now use %:org-date for Gnus links on messages. Slight difference
> with your proposal, the output is of the form:
>
> <2010-09-20 Mon 00:13>

Didn't think of the active version. But is it too much asking for the version
I searched for?  Could we name it differently maybe?

Or do you consider that too much of a mess, and useless?

I let you decide. But I would personally consider both as useful, in fact.

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-22 20:30                 ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-22 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>Hi Bastien,

>Bastien wrote:
>> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:
>>
>>> Though I had something in mind, that's effectively not expressed above: I'd
>>> like to get that date in the Org format, so that I can use it as a proper
>>> Org timestamp in entries:
>>>
>>> * TODO Answer mail of Bastien
>>>   [2010-09-20 Mon 00:13]
>>>
>>> Would that request be feasible and accepted by you?
>>
>> You can now use %:org-date for Gnus links on messages. Slight difference
>> with your proposal, the output is of the form:
>>
>> <2010-09-20 Mon 00:13>

>Didn't think of the active version. But is it too much asking for the version
>I searched for?  Could we name it differently maybe?

>Or do you consider that too much of a mess, and useless?

I've started to implement the :date property for the other mailers and
thought about:

 - date :: literal content of the date header field
 - date-timestamp :: active timestamp for the date header field
 - date-timestamp-ia :: inactive timestamp for the date header field

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-23  7:48                   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-23  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Maus; +Cc: Sébastien Vauban, emacs-orgmode

David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

> I've started to implement the :date property for the other mailers and
> thought about:
>
>  - date :: literal content of the date header field
>  - date-timestamp :: active timestamp for the date header field
>  - date-timestamp-ia :: inactive timestamp for the date header field

That'd be good indeed, thanks.

I personnaly prefer explicit names like "date-timestamp-inactive",
as it only goes in people's config files.

--
 Bastien

* Re: Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-23 18:07                     ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-23 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: David Maus, emacs-orgmode, Sébastien Vauban

Bastien wrote:
>David Maus <dmaus@ictsoc.de> writes:

>> I've started to implement the :date property for the other mailers and
>> thought about:
>>
>>  - date :: literal content of the date header field
>>  - date-timestamp :: active timestamp for the date header field
>>  - date-timestamp-ia :: inactive timestamp for the date header field

>That'd be good indeed, thanks.

>I personnaly prefer explicit names like "date-timestamp-inactive",
>as it only goes in people's config files.

Okay, just pushed the changes.  The properties for the date header
field are now %:date, %:date-timestamp, and %:date-timestamp-inactive
and are supplied by all mail link handlers.

Tested with all but vm which I have some trouble to configure
correctly.

While working on org-gnus I noticed a small inconsistency: All mail
link handlers return the full message id (i.e. with enclosing angle
brackets) in the %:message-id property, but org-gnus does return the
message id without the angle brackets.

I am not sure about the implications of a fix for this and providing
the mid w/o angle brackets in a property %:message-id-no-brackets (as
org-wl does).

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-23 19:05                       ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-23 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi David,

David Maus wrote:
> Bastien wrote:
>> David Maus <dmaus-lYycHbxpNtazQB+pC5nmwQ@public.gmane.org> writes:
>>> I've started to implement the :date property for the other mailers and
>>> thought about:
>>>
>>>  - date :: literal content of the date header field
>>>  - date-timestamp :: active timestamp for the date header field
>>>  - date-timestamp-ia :: inactive timestamp for the date header field
>
> Okay, just pushed the changes. The properties for the date header field are
> now %:date, %:date-timestamp, and %:date-timestamp-inactive and are supplied
> by all mail link handlers.

I'm sorry, but when putting this in music, I realize this is (maybe) not
enough. Just consider a typical test case:

          (setq org-capture-templates
                `(("m" "Mail" entry
                   (file+headline "~/Personal/refile.org" "Tasks")
                   "* TODO %:subject%? (from %:fromname) :mail:
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Created: %:date-timestamp-inactive
   :END:
   SCHEDULED: %:date-timestamp

%i

From %a"
                   :empty-lines 1 :immediate-finish)))

I now have a full timestamp (date and time) for when the mail has been sent
(or received?). That's really great.

Though, for the scheduling part, I don't need a full timestamp: I just want to
specify when (which day) I intend to work on it, and reply to it. There, it'd
be cool to have a timestamp with only date and day of the week (no time).

Does this make sense?

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-23 19:21                         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2010-09-23 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Sebastian,

Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf@spammotel.com> writes:

> Though, for the scheduling part, I don't need a full timestamp: I just want to
> specify when (which day) I intend to work on it, and reply to it. There, it'd
> be cool to have a timestamp with only date and day of the week (no time).
>
> Does this make sense?

Mh...  I'm not sure. :)

Why don't you use a "SCHEDULED: %t" in this case?  You'd still have to
manually schedule the task correctly, of course.

--
 Bastien

* Re: [bug] Gnus author in capture templates not working
@ 2010-09-24  7:31                           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-24  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Bastien,

Bastien wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Though, for the scheduling part, I don't need a full timestamp: I just want
>> to specify when (which day) I intend to work on it, and reply to it. There,
>> it'd be cool to have a timestamp with only date and day of the week (no
>> time).
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>
> Mh...  I'm not sure. :)

You're right not to be sure...

> Why don't you use a "SCHEDULED: %t" in this case? You'd still have to
> manually schedule the task correctly, of course.

Yes, that's the (obvious and existing) way to go. Sorry for my stupid
proposition.

Thanks!

Best regards,
  Seb

--

@ 2010-09-26 17:41                         ` David Maus
From: David Maus @ 2010-09-26 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Vauban; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Sébastien Vauban wrote:

>I now have a full timestamp (date and time) for when the mail has been sent
>(or received?).

Well... It's the date of the Date: header field ;)

What it is set to depends on the sender; that's why it is not really a
reliable piece of information one should use for scheduling items.
The sender's clock might be wrong or the header might not be present.

Best,
  -- David
--

@ 2010-09-27  8:06                           ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2010-09-27  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi David,

David Maus wrote:
> Sébastien Vauban wrote:
>> I now have a full timestamp (date and time) for when the mail has been sent
>> (or received?).
>
> Well... It's the date of the Date: header field ;)
>
> What it is set to depends on the sender; that's why it is not really a
> reliable piece of information one should use for scheduling items. The
> sender's clock might be wrong or the header might not be present.

You're right. Its best use is for an inactive timestamp, stating when the mail
"dates" from. Useful info.

Thanks,
  Seb

--