* Syntax for tags-todo in org-agenda-custom-commands
@ 2011-07-07 12:17 Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-07-07 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

In my org-agenda-custom-commands I've got two block entries:

tags-todo "office&(project|task)"

and

tags-todo "home&(project|task)"

Items with :office:project: and :home:project: are separated properly,
but :office:task: and :home:task: end up in both lists.

What should the correct syntax be and where is it described?

Thanks

Loris

--
Dr. Loris Bennett (Mr.)
ZEDAT, Freie Universität Berlin         Email loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de

* Re: Syntax for tags-todo in org-agenda-custom-commands
@ 2011-07-08  8:17 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-08  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> In my org-agenda-custom-commands I've got two block entries:
>
> tags-todo "office&(project|task)"
>
> and
>
> tags-todo "home&(project|task)"
>
> Items with :office:project: and :home:project: are separated properly,
> but :office:task: and :home:task: end up in both lists.

Can you send a test file, with actual results and expected results?

I _guess_ the problem you have, but I'd like to see/test it.

> What should the correct syntax be and where is it described?

Did you look in the manual?  What is missing?

Thanks!

--
 Bastien

* Re: Syntax for tags-todo in org-agenda-custom-commands
@ 2011-07-08 10:34   ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-07-08 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi Bastien,

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>
>> In my org-agenda-custom-commands I've got two block entries:
>>
>> tags-todo "office&(project|task)"
>>
>> and
>>
>> tags-todo "home&(project|task)"
>>
>> Items with :office:project: and :home:project: are separated properly,
>> but :office:task: and :home:task: end up in both lists.
>
> Can you send a test file, with actual results and expected results?

Test file:

   * Tasks                                                             :task:
   ** TODO Mow lawn                                                    :home:
   ** TODO Install R                                                 :office:

   * Projects                                                       :project:
   ** TODO Set up cluster                                            :office:
   ** TODO Sort out backup                                             :home:

Actual Results:

   Office
     agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                     :task::home:
     agendatest: TODO Install R                                  :task::office:
     agendatest: TODO Set up cluster                          :project::office:

   Home TODOs
     agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                     :task::home:
     agendatest: TODO Install R                                  :task::office:
     agendatest: TODO Sort out backup                           :project::home:

Expected Results:

   Office
     agendatest: TODO Install R                                  :task::office:
     agendatest: TODO Set up cluster                          :project::office:

   Home TODOs
     agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                     :task::home:
     agendatest: TODO Sort out backup                           :project::home:

I hope this is complete. I don't quite know what the best way to test
something like this is without disturbing my configuration too much.

> I _guess_ the problem you have, but I'd like to see/test it.
>
>> What should the correct syntax be and where is it described?
>
> Did you look in the manual?  What is missing?

I looked here

   http://orgmode.org/manual/Block-agenda.html#Block-agenda

but there is no complex example with and-ing and or-ing tags.

> Thanks!

Thank you for taking the time.

Cheers

Loris
--

@ 2011-07-08 11:53     ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-07-08 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> Hi Bastien,
>
> Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
>
>> Hi Loris,
>>
>> "Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:
>>
>>> In my org-agenda-custom-commands I've got two block entries:
>>>
>>> tags-todo "office&(project|task)"
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> tags-todo "home&(project|task)"
>>>
>>> Items with :office:project: and :home:project: are separated properly,
>>> but :office:task: and :home:task: end up in both lists.
>>
>> Can you send a test file, with actual results and expected results?
>
> Test file:
>
>    * Tasks                                                            :task:
>    ** TODO Mow lawn                                                   :home:
>    ** TODO Install R                                                :office:
>

>    * Projects                                                      :project:
>    ** TODO Set up cluster                                           :office:
>    ** TODO Sort out backup                                            :home:
>
> Actual Results:
>
>    ==========================================================================
>    Office
>      agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                   :task::home:
>      agendatest: TODO Install R                                :task::office:
>      agendatest: TODO Set up cluster                        :project::office:
>

>    ==========================================================================
>    Home TODOs
>      agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                   :task::home:
>      agendatest: TODO Install R                                :task::office:
>      agendatest: TODO Sort out backup                         :project::home:
>
> Expected Results:
>
>    ==========================================================================
>    Office
>      agendatest: TODO Install R                                :task::office:
>      agendatest: TODO Set up cluster                        :project::office:
>

>    ==========================================================================
>    Home TODOs
>      agendatest: TODO Mow lawn                                   :task::home:
>      agendatest: TODO Sort out backup                         :project::home:
>

> I hope this is complete. I don't quite know what the best way to test
> something like this is without disturbing my configuration too much.
>
>> I _guess_ the problem you have, but I'd like to see/test it.
>>
>>> What should the correct syntax be and where is it described?
>>
>> Did you look in the manual?  What is missing?
>
> I looked here
>
>    http://orgmode.org/manual/Block-agenda.html#Block-agenda
>
> but there is no complex example with and-ing and or-ing tags.

I see that I should also have looked here:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Matching-tags-and-properties.html

--

@ 2011-07-08 12:52     ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-07-08 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

,----[ C-h v org-agenda-custom-commands ]
| match    What to search for:
|           - a single keyword for TODO keyword searches
!!]         - a tags match expression for tags searches [ !!
|           - a word search expression for text searches.
|           - a regular expression for occur searches
|           For all other commands, this should be the empty string.
`----
=>
,----[ (info "(org)Matching tags and properties") ]
| A search string can use Boolean operators `&' for AND and `|' for OR.
| `&' binds more strongly than `|'.
!!]  Parentheses are currently not implemented.  [!!

`----

("Z" "Test home"
    ((agenda "")
     (tags-todo "+home+project|+home+task")))
("Y" "Test work"
    ((agenda "")
     (tags-todo "+office+project|+office+task")))

seems to work?

Memnon

* Re: Syntax for tags-todo in org-agenda-custom-commands
@ 2011-07-08 13:40       ` Loris Bennett
From: Loris Bennett @ 2011-07-08 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

>>> Did you look in the manual?  What is missing?
>>
>> I looked here
>>
>>    http://orgmode.org/manual/Block-agenda.html#Block-agenda
>>

> ,----[ C-h v org-agenda-custom-commands ]
> | match    What to search for:
> |           - a single keyword for TODO keyword searches
> !!]         - a tags match expression for tags searches [ !!
> |           - a word search expression for text searches.
> |           - a regular expression for occur searches
> |           For all other commands, this should be the empty string.
> `----
> =>
> ,----[ (info "(org)Matching tags and properties") ]
> | A search string can use Boolean operators `&' for AND and `|' for OR.
> | `&' binds more strongly than `|'.
> !!]  Parentheses are currently not implemented.  [!!
> |
> `----
>
> ("Z" "Test home"
>     ((agenda "")
>      (tags-todo "+home+project|+home+task")))
> ("Y" "Test work"
>     ((agenda "")
>      (tags-todo "+office+project|+office+task")))
>
> seems to work?
>
> Memnon

Thanks, I was just being a bit dopey. I had already woken up a bit and
come up with

(tags-todo "+office+CATEGORY=\"project\"|+office+CATEGORY=\"task\")

I think maybe I need to start a new thread some time about generally
approaches to using tags vs. categories. I am sure there must a few
fairly standard idioms that people are using.

Cheers

Loris
--

@ 2011-07-08 14:06         ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-08 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loris Bennett; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Loris,

"Loris Bennett" <loris.bennett@fu-berlin.de> writes:

> I think maybe I need to start a new thread some time about generally
> approaches to using tags vs. categories. I am sure there must a few
> fairly standard idioms that people are using.

Good idea.

Personally, I use tags for contexts and categories for projects.

--
 Bastien