* Dimming ancestors in the agenda (relevant to indenting nested TODOs in agenda views)
@ 2011-08-23 18:40 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2011-08-23 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Here is a different solution.  It is from my notes from long ago.

To me, one issue with indenting is that you expect the previous line
to be a direct parent, analogously with the outline.  This conflicts
with sorting and non-child descendents.

If you sort, you can't take advantage of the feature and have it look
right.  If it's not a direct child, you can't take advantage of it
either because you either confusingly indent too much or modify the
semantics.  Also, indenting interferes with putting as much
information on the line as possible.  Those with large fonts or small
(e.g. mobile) displays value the real estate.

===

Here is an alternate, which might or might not satisfy the OP's needs
tangentially, but might spark discussion in either case.

One feature I have long wanted, but have not been able to implement,
is to dim (or color) any agenda entry that has a descendant in the
same agenda view.

===

This is a completely different thing from dimming blocked
tasks, because it only looks at other tasks in the same
view, and doesn't care about todo keywords.

The pseudocode is this:

  loop for i in all headlines in agenda (even a combined agenda)
    if i has an ancestor in agenda, dim that ancestor

Motivation is that sometimes I mark a task as important (or
any other tag), and mark its child as important.  When I look
at the agenda view for important items without inheritance, I
am less interested in the parent because there is something important
in a descendent.

But when B is done, I am interested in A again.  I don't want to
manipulate tags.  I
just want to have both there all the time in the agenda, but
one dimmed.

  * deal with company A :important:
    * call B at company A :important:
    * call C

===

Hope this idea helps the OP's indenting need or similar ones.

Samuel

I support the Whittemore-Peterson Institute (WPI)
===
Bigotry against people with serious diseases is still bigotry.