* Beamer export of a subtree seems wrong.
@ 2011-11-10 17:41 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-11-10 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I recently started to prepare lecture notes in org mode. I used the example
from Eric on worg as a template.
Everything works well. I used the first headline level to define groups of
slides, the second level are slide titels and so on. A full export to PDF
looks like expected. However, I thought I can do something like
* lecture 1...
* lecture 2...
* lecture 3...
and exporting only the subtree, I assumed should result in a PDF file for a
single lecture. This does not work :( A subtree export with the pointer on
a toplevel headline ommits all slide titles (all ** levels). I tried to be
smart and added :noexport: to all but one lecture. However, that had no
effect at all.
Any idea what might be wrong? Or did I misunderstood the usage of the
grouping frames function.

All the best
Torsten

* Re: Beamer export of a subtree seems wrong.
@ 2011-11-25 16:29 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-11-25 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I recently started to prepare lecture notes in org mode. I used the example
> from Eric on worg as a template.
> Everything works well. I used the first headline level to define groups of
> slides, the second level are slide titels and so on. A full export to PDF
> looks like expected. However, I thought I can do something like
> * lecture 1...
> * lecture 2...
> * lecture 3...
> and exporting only the subtree, I assumed should result in a PDF file for a
> single lecture. This does not work :( A subtree export with the pointer on
> a toplevel headline ommits all slide titles (all ** levels). I tried to be
> smart and added :noexport: to all but one lecture. However, that had no
> effect at all.
> Any idea what might be wrong? Or did I misunderstood the usage of the
> grouping frames function.
>
> All the best
> Torsten

Torsten,

sorry for delay in responding to this.  I was away (down under) for a
while and am only now slowly getting caught up with emails... :(

Exporting a sub-tree does not work for beamer because of how org treats
a sub-tree.  Basically, when compared with an export of the full file,
all headings are promoted one level up with the top level heading taking
on the role of the "file" enclosing the talk.

If for the whole file, you have using the structure that says that 1st
level headings are topics and second level are slides, then when
exporting a sub-tree, the 1st level heading becomes the title of the
talk and second level headings become the topics.  This is not what you
expect.

For general latex export (and other export targets, I guess), the
structure being exported is just an outline structure with content and
the actual heading levels have no specific semantic meaning.  This is
not true for beamer unfortunately.

I guess we need the latex exporter to handle beamer examples differently
to other latex.  In other words, a sub-tree export should not do the
/promotion/ of headlines like usual for any other type of latex
export.  Addressing this is beyond my capabilities unfortunately.

Maybe somebody else can address this?  It would indeed be useful, not
only in the context given above but also for exporting just a single
slide, which would require exporting the topic for that slide... even
more complex case to handle especially.

I hope that at least this makes sense even if it doesn't help you
directly ... :(

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.598.g4e2a)

* Re: Beamer export of a subtree seems wrong.
@ 2011-11-27 14:52   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2011-11-27 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Eric,
thanks for answering.

> Exporting a sub-tree does not work for beamer because of how org treats
> a sub-tree.  Basically, when compared with an export of the full file,
> all headings are promoted one level up with the top level heading taking
> on the role of the "file" enclosing the talk.
>
> If for the whole file, you have using the structure that says that 1st
> level headings are topics and second level are slides, then when
> exporting a sub-tree, the 1st level heading becomes the title of the
> talk and second level headings become the topics.  This is not what you
> expect.

O.K. I got it (I guess). What a pitty, because it would be very nice
to be able to split lecture notes into either individual notes per
class or into a full lecture script by simply exporting the full
document or a single subtree.
Do you see any chance that the new way of exporting using
org-elements, recently discussed will help to get this feature.
At least, it seems to me it would be easier doable.

@ 2011-11-27 20:15     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-11-27 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
> thanks for answering.
>
>> Exporting a sub-tree does not work for beamer because of how org treats
>> a sub-tree.  Basically, when compared with an export of the full file,
>> all headings are promoted one level up with the top level heading taking
>> on the role of the "file" enclosing the talk.
>>
>> If for the whole file, you have using the structure that says that 1st
>> level headings are topics and second level are slides, then when
>> exporting a sub-tree, the 1st level heading becomes the title of the
>> talk and second level headings become the topics.  This is not what you
>> expect.
>
> O.K. I got it (I guess). What a pitty, because it would be very nice
> to be able to split lecture notes into either individual notes per
> class or into a full lecture script by simply exporting the full
> document or a single subtree.
> Do you see any chance that the new way of exporting using
> org-elements, recently discussed will help to get this feature.
> At least, it seems to me it would be easier doable.
>
> Torsten

I have no idea.  I'm still a long ways behind in catching up with all
the org related emails I have accumulated over the past month or so.  I
have no idea what org-elements will or can do...  I'll come back to this
as soon as I know more!
--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.90.1
: using Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.381.g05ea.dirty)