* how to handle backend-specific types as fuzzy link targets during export
@ 2014-06-24 10:59 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-24 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

In the function `org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link' at line 4078 of ox.el
the `org-element-all-elements' variable is used to map over all elements
in the parse tree when looking for a possible link target.  However some
trees hold valid backend-specific types which are not members of the
`org-element-all-elements' variable (e.g., `latex-fragment').  This
results in named targets not being resolved during export.

I'm currently working around this locally by let-binding
`org-element-all-elements' in line 1967 of ox-latex.el, but I imagine
there should be a more general solution.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte

* Re: how to handle backend-specific types as fuzzy link targets during export
@ 2014-06-24 11:56 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-24 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> In the function `org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link' at line 4078 of ox.el
> the `org-element-all-elements' variable is used to map over all elements
> in the parse tree when looking for a possible link target.  However some
> trees hold valid backend-specific types which are not members of the
> `org-element-all-elements' variable (e.g., `latex-fragment').  This
> results in named targets not being resolved during export.

I do not understand what you are trying to achieve. Line 4078 tries to
find elements with a #+NAME affiliated keyword in the parse tree. LaTeX
fragments cannot have such keywords.

Maybe an example would help.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: how to handle backend-specific types as fuzzy link targets during export
@ 2014-06-24 12:46   ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-24 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In the function `org-export-resolve-fuzzy-link' at line 4078 of ox.el
>> the `org-element-all-elements' variable is used to map over all elements
>> in the parse tree when looking for a possible link target.  However some
>> trees hold valid backend-specific types which are not members of the
>> `org-element-all-elements' variable (e.g., `latex-fragment').  This
>> results in named targets not being resolved during export.
>
> I do not understand what you are trying to achieve. Line 4078 tries to
> find elements with a #+NAME affiliated keyword in the parse tree. LaTeX
> fragments cannot have such keywords.
>
> Maybe an example would help.

Sure.  I have added a function to org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions
which replaces a custom keyword with either a latex-fragment or an HTML
link wrapped in a paragraph depending on the export backend.  The latex
fragment basically has the following content,

    "\\begin{figure}
      \\centering
      \\input{%s}
      \\caption[%s]{\\label{%s}%s}
    \\end{figure}\n\n"

and I assign it a :name property to match the label in the above.  I
then have links elsewhere in the file which reference this label.

Is there a better way to achieve output like the above?  If not I think
an argument can be made that either (1) after filters have run
assumptions about which types can support which properties are moot, or
(2) there should be a way to have a filter insert a named chunk of
backend-specific code.

Thanks,
Eric

--

@ 2014-06-24 13:08     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-24 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Sure.  I have added a function to org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions
> which replaces a custom keyword with either a latex-fragment or an HTML
> link wrapped in a paragraph depending on the export backend.  The latex
> fragment basically has the following content,
>
>     "\\begin{figure}
>       \\centering
>       \\input{%s}
>       \\caption[%s]{\\label{%s}%s}
>     \\end{figure}\n\n"
>
> and I assign it a :name property to match the label in the above.  I
> then have links elsewhere in the file which reference this label.

I still do not get it. Could you show your (possibly simplified) filter
function?

Also, what code do you want ox-latex to generate?

Note that #+NAME is internal Org syntax. It cannot possibly be
compatible with random raw LaTeX code. IOW, even if you can write raw
LaTeX in an Org buffer, it doesn't mean that Org will understand the
LaTeX code you wrote.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: how to handle backend-specific types as fuzzy link targets during export
@ 2014-06-24 13:30       ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-24 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Sure.  I have added a function to org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions
>> which replaces a custom keyword with either a latex-fragment or an HTML
>> link wrapped in a paragraph depending on the export backend.  The latex
>> fragment basically has the following content,
>>
>>     "\\begin{figure}
>>       \\centering
>>       \\input{%s}
>>       \\caption[%s]{\\label{%s}%s}
>>     \\end{figure}\n\n"
>>
>> and I assign it a :name property to match the label in the above.  I
>> then have links elsewhere in the file which reference this label.
>
> I still do not get it. Could you show your (possibly simplified) filter
> function?

Attached

[-- Attachment #2: tikz-figure-keywords.el --]

> Also, what code do you want ox-latex to generate?

So something like the following

    #+name: technique-overview
    #+Caption[Overview of Technique]: Text.
    #+TIKZ_FIGURE: technique-overview

    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet Figure [[technique-overview]] posuere.

results in something like the following for latex export

    \begin{figure}
      \centering
      \input{technique-overview}
      \caption[Overview of Technique]{\label{technique-overview}Text.}
    \end{figure}

     Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet Figure \ref{technique-overview} posuere.

Thanks,
Eric

--

@ 2014-06-24 15:28         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-24 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> Attached

OK, now I get it.

You're working at the wrong level. `latex-fragment' is an object
(inline) type, but you're inserting it at the element's level. The
equivalent (non inline) element is `latex-environment', which is, for
example:

  \begin{equation}
  1+1=2
  \end{equation}

So you could simply replace `latex-fragment' type with
`latex-environment', and your example should work properly.

HTH,

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: how to handle backend-specific types as fuzzy link targets during export
@ 2014-06-30 16:37           ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2014-06-30 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hello,
>
> Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Attached
>
> OK, now I get it.
>
> You're working at the wrong level. `latex-fragment' is an object
> (inline) type, but you're inserting it at the element's level. The
> equivalent (non inline) element is `latex-environment', which is, for
> example:
>
>   \begin{equation}
>   1+1=2
>   \end{equation}
>
> So you could simply replace `latex-fragment' type with
> `latex-environment', and your example should work properly.

Confirmed, using `latex-environment' does give the desired behavior.

A related question.  Is there a command to re-number figures in export?
After adding latex-environments in a function added to the
`org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions' hook, all figures are numbered
"1".

Thanks,

--

@ 2014-06-30 20:29             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-06-30 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Schulte <schulte.eric@gmail.com> writes:

> A related question.  Is there a command to re-number figures in
> export?

Figures are not numbered in the parse tree: their number is computed on
the fly during export, with `org-export-get-ordinal'.

> After adding latex-environments in a function added to the
> `org-export-filter-parse-tree-functions' hook, all figures are numbered
> "1".

See my answer in the other thread. The simplest solution is to add
a caption to them.

Nicolas Goaziou