* behaviour of org-export--get-subtree-options vs inbuffer-options
@ 2014-11-05 10:45 Per Unneberg
From: Per Unneberg @ 2014-11-05 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi list,

on exporting subtrees to latex, I've noticed that inserting several
EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA does not do what I naively had expected; that
each entry be inserted in the header, separated by a newline, along with
document properties (#+LATEX_HEADER et al). Looking closer at
org-export--get-subtree-options and comparing to
org-export--get-inbuffer-options suggests that the former doesn't take
into account multiple EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER* statements?

Here is a MWE to show what I mean. Exporting the following document with
C-c C-e l L inserts all lines in the preamble

#+LATEX_HEADER: %%latex_header_1
#+LATEX_HEADER: %%latex_header_2
#+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%latex_header_extra_1
#+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%latex_header_extra_2

* Latex test
  :PROPERTIES:
  :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%subtree-latex-header-extra-1
  :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%subtree-latex-header-extra-2
  :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER: %%subtree-latex-header-1
  :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER: %%subtree-latex-header-2
  :END:

However, running C-c C-e C-s l L on the subtree removes the
%%latex_header_* and inserts only the first subtree-latex statements
(extra-1, header-1).

Is this the intended behaviour?

Cheers,

Per

* Re: behaviour of org-export--get-subtree-options vs inbuffer-options
@ 2014-11-05 13:24 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-11-05 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Per Unneberg; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

Per Unneberg <punneberg@gmail.com> writes:

> on exporting subtrees to latex, I've noticed that inserting several
> EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA does not do what I naively had expected; that
> each entry be inserted in the header, separated by a newline, along with
> document properties (#+LATEX_HEADER et al). Looking closer at
> org-export--get-subtree-options and comparing to
> org-export--get-inbuffer-options suggests that the former doesn't take
> into account multiple EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER* statements?
>
> Here is a MWE to show what I mean. Exporting the following document with
> C-c C-e l L inserts all lines in the preamble
>
> #+LATEX_HEADER: %%latex_header_1
> #+LATEX_HEADER: %%latex_header_2
> #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%latex_header_extra_1
> #+LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%latex_header_extra_2
>
> * Latex test
>   :PROPERTIES:
>   :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%subtree-latex-header-extra-1
>   :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER_EXTRA: %%subtree-latex-header-extra-2
>   :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER: %%subtree-latex-header-1
>   :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER: %%subtree-latex-header-2
>   :END:
>
> However, running C-c C-e C-s l L on the subtree removes the
> %%latex_header_* and inserts only the first subtree-latex statements
> (extra-1, header-1).
>
> Is this the intended behaviour?

Yes, you cannot have duplicate property names in the same property
drawer. OTOH you can append values to a property with :NAME+: syntax
(e.g. :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER+:). You can also try to make everything fit
in a single line.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: behaviour of org-export--get-subtree-options vs inbuffer-options
@ 2014-11-06  8:58   ` Per Unneberg
From: Per Unneberg @ 2014-11-06  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

> Yes, you cannot have duplicate property names in the same property
> drawer. OTOH you can append values to a property with :NAME+: syntax
> (e.g. :EXPORT_LATEX_HEADER+:). You can also try to make everything fit
> in a single line.

thanks for the clarifications and the pointer to the nifty :NAME+:
syntax. It all makes sense now. I temporarily played around with a
tentative alternative solution, in which I defined a derived backend
with a modified template translator, modifying the property list sent to
org-latex-template. Works, but slightly more cumbersome.

Cheers,

Per