From: Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr>
To: Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com>
Cc: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>,
	emacs-orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>,
	"Tory S. Anderson" <torys.anderson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: tables, comment in one line, export to html
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 10:04:15 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

Michael Brand <michael.ch.brand@gmail.com> writes:

> To have similar things look similar and make it clear in the manual I
> suggest to change the long existing
>
>   ~/~
>      Do not export this line.  Useful for lines that contain the
>      narrowing `<N>' markers or column group markers.
>
>   Finally, just to whet your appetite [...]
>
>   ~/~
>      Do not export this row or column.  In the first column ~/~ means
>      do not export this row which is useful for rows that contain the
>      narrowing ~<N>~ markers, column group markers or markers to not
>      export a column.  In all other columns ~/~ means do not export
>      this column if also the first column is marked with ~/~.  When
>      the first column should not be exported move its content other
>      than markers into an other column.
>
>   When more than one marker is needed in a column put each in an own
>   row with ~/~ in the first column.
>
>   Finally, just to wet your appetite [...]

You are talking about section "3.5 The spreadsheet". I don't think this
feature is directly related to spreadsheet capabilities.

Actually, / in first column is described earlier in the manual, in "3.3
Column groups". Besides, there is a similar feature described in "3.2
Column width and alignment", about lines containing only alignment
cookies:

     Lines which only contain these formatting cookies will be removed
  automatically when exporting the document.

IMO, a better change would be to merge 3.2 and 3.3 as "Column
operations" or some such, and add "<#>" as a way to ignore columns upon
exporting. This way, everything related to columns is packed in the same
subsection, and every column markup uses < or >. Moreover, there is no
possible confusion with # markup from spreadsheet.

WDYT?

Nicolas Goaziou