* Repeated Tasks
@ 2009-04-11  5:10 Antano Solar John
From: Antano Solar John @ 2009-04-11  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi,

I want to do certain things everyday. And ensure that I spend x time
doing things that I really want to do.

For Example,

I have lost the habbit of reading due to lot of reasons. And so is it
with practising guitar.

Now if I want to discipline myself to play the guitar atleast once a day
for 30 min. And read something atleast for 1 hour once in 3 days. I
would want to set up repeated reminders.

Using deadlines with +1d , +3d attributes.

Now I have two questions.

1. Is it possible that I also specify that I need to spend 30 minutes on
this activity and 1 hour in the other. And have some function that will
compute how many free hours I have in a day assuming that I want to do
all the things that I am supposed to do.  Like say if I am due for
reading, guitar, writing and the sum is 4 hours. And that I have
finished 1 Hours Work say Reading. It is 6 pm and someone  asks me for a
date at 8 pm. Will Org-Mode be able to tell me that I have 3 more hours
of pending work. (The real situation is more complicated than this. I
have like 40 - 50 recurring tasks in a week and as a combination there
are 20+ tasks besides proffesional life that has to be done everyday)

2. Repeated deadlines are choking my agenda view. For daily reminders,
would it be possible that it does not show what I have to  do tomorrow.

--
Antano Solar John

* Re: Repeated Tasks
@ 2009-04-12  3:13 ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2009-04-12  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Antano Solar John; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Antano,

I can offer a response to one of your questions.

Antano Solar John <solar345@gmail.com> writes:

> 2. Repeated deadlines are choking my agenda view. For daily reminders,
> would it be possible that it does not show what I have to  do tomorrow.

I solve this problem by adding a DAILY tag to my repeating tasks and
then filtering them out when necessary with a secondary filter -- i.e.,
by typing "/ - d" within the agenda (d is my shortcut for this tag).

Regards,
Matt

* Repeated Tasks
@ 2009-09-01 15:03 Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2009-09-01 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,

I have a requirement for calculating the time spent on repetitive
task. Say for example checking mails. I don't have a specific schedule
or deadline for this task.

* TODO Check Mail

I went through this document,
http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks. The methodologies
mentioned in the document requires a scheduled date or a deadline
which I don't have in this scenario.

For time being, I do the following.

1. Change TODO to STARTED
2. Clock-In
3. Check mail. After checking mail return to org file.
4. Clock-out
5. Change STARTED to TODO

I have feeling that what I am doing is not a cool method.

What you guys do in such situation?

Thanks and Regards
Noorul

* Re: Repeated Tasks
@ 2009-09-01 15:15 ` Sebastian Rose
From: Sebastian Rose @ 2009-09-01 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Noorul,

Noorul Islam <gnukid@gmail.com> writes:
> Hello list,
>
> I have a requirement for calculating the time spent on repetitive
> task. Say for example checking mails. I don't have a specific schedule
> or deadline for this task.
>
> * TODO Check Mail
>
> I went through this document,
> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks. The methodologies
> mentioned in the document requires a scheduled date or a deadline
> which I don't have in this scenario.
>
> For time being, I do the following.
>
> 1. Change TODO to STARTED
> 2. Clock-In
> 3. Check mail. After checking mail return to org file.
> 4. Clock-out
> 5. Change STARTED to TODO

how about:

1. On the `TODO Check Mail' headline, clock in:

   C-c C-x C-i

2. Check mail

3. On the `TODO Check Mail' headline, clock out:

   C-c C-x C-o

Note, that you can use the menu from the clock display in the modeline
to clock out again.

Best wishes

     Sebastian

* Re: Repeated Tasks
@ 2009-09-01 17:56   ` Noorul Islam
From: Noorul Islam @ 2009-09-01 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Sebastian Rose<sebastian_rose@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Noorul,
>

> Noorul Islam <gnukid@gmail.com> writes:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I have a requirement for calculating the time spent on repetitive
>> task. Say for example checking mails. I don't have a specific schedule
>> or deadline for this task.
>>
>> * TODO Check Mail
>>
>> I went through this document,
>> http://orgmode.org/org.html#Repeated-tasks. The methodologies
>> mentioned in the document requires a scheduled date or a deadline
>> which I don't have in this scenario.
>>
>> For time being, I do the following.
>>
>> 1. Change TODO to STARTED
>> 2. Clock-In
>> 3. Check mail. After checking mail return to org file.
>> 4. Clock-out
>> 5. Change STARTED to TODO
>>

> how about:
>

> 1. On the `TODO Check Mail' headline, clock in:
>
>   C-c C-x C-i
>
> 2. Check mail
>
> 3. On the `TODO Check Mail' headline, clock out:
>
>   C-c C-x C-o
>

> Note, that you can use the menu from the clock display in the modeline
> to clock out again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Sometimes I do that also. But that won't
change the mod-line status saying that I am Checking Mails.

Thanks
Noorul

* Repeated tasks
@ 2016-05-12 20:11 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-12 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to specify the timestamp for a repeated task which has to
be done on the second Sunday of every month?  I'd like the todo state of
the task to go back to TODO after it has been marked DONE, as described
in the section on repeated tasks in the Org manual.

Thanks,
Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/
Harish-Chandra Research Institute, http://www.hri.res.in/

* Repeated tasks
@ 2016-05-13  2:56 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-13  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to specify the timestamp for a repeated task which has to
be done on the second Sunday of every month, after a certain date, say
25 May 2016?  I'd like the todo state of the task to go back to TODO

@ 2016-05-13  4:39 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-13  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2016-05-13  4:51 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-13  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

@ 2016-05-13  5:16 N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-13  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Is there a way to specify the timestamp for a repeated task which has to
be done on the second Sunday of every month?  I'd like the todo state of
the task to go back to TODO after it has been marked DONE, as described
in the section on repeated tasks in the Org manual.

Thanks,
Raghu.

PS: I am sorry if you get multiple copies of this message.  I use Gmane
to read this list, and tried to post this message through Gmane, but
didn't get the confirmation message from the Gmane auto-authorizer.  So
I am posting it now directly to the list.  Does anyone else have
similar difficulties posting through Gmane?

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@hri.res.in>, http://www.retrotexts.net/
Harish-Chandra Research Institute, http://www.hri.res.in/

* Re: Repeated tasks
@ 2016-05-13 20:07 ` Leandro Noferini
From: Leandro Noferini @ 2016-05-13 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

"N. Raghavendra" <raghu@hri.res.in> writes:

> Is there a way to specify the timestamp for a repeated task which has
> to be done on the second Sunday of every month?  I'd like the todo
> state of the task to go back to TODO after it has been marked DONE, as
> described in the section on repeated tasks in the Org manual.

You can use sexp expressions: look at the chapter 8.3 of the manual, 8.3
Deadlines and scheduling

For example I use this expression for the first sunday of every month:

<%%(diary-float t 0 1)>

--
leandro Scegli sempre un'idea che ti permetta poi di cambiarla
http://6xukrlqedfabdjrb.onion

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Repeated tasks
@ 2016-05-16 18:13   ` N. Raghavendra
From: N. Raghavendra @ 2016-05-16 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At 2016-05-13T22:07:58+02:00, Leandro Noferini wrote:

> "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@hri.res.in> writes:
>
>> Is there a way to specify the timestamp for a repeated task which has
>> to be done on the second Sunday of every month?  I'd like the todo
>> state of the task to go back to TODO after it has been marked DONE, as
>> described in the section on repeated tasks in the Org manual.
>
> You can use sexp expressions: look at the chapter 8.3 of the manual, 8.3
> Deadlines and scheduling
>
> For example I use this expression for the first sunday of every month:
>
> <%%(diary-float t 0 1)>

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I know this diary-sexp, but the trouble with
it is that after I change the state of such a task to DONE, it remains
DONE.  What I want is that when I change the state to DONE, the task
must be rescheduled for the second Sunday of the next month, and the
state reverted to TODO.  This will be like the repeated task
functionality described in the manual.

Cheers,
Raghu.