From: Stefan Huchler <stefan.huchler@mail.de>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: [ANN] [OT] New Android app (Orgzly)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 04:46:00 +0200	[thread overview]

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

> I would be happy to help you work out any blockers that hinders you from
> releasing the source code. Several people told you that they would be happy to
> sponsor your ongoing work on Orgzly and I would so too. If you think your code
> is not ready yet to be seen by others, don't think so. It will never be ready.
>
> It would be a shame if all your great work could not be appreciated by a
> larger audience.

Really people use proprietary lisenses to hide their code quality? I
find that hard to belive. Software is never done (at least thats true
for free software) if nobody enhances/refactors it anymore there is just
no real need for it anymore.

So of course you should release early (in a bad state) and often. As
long it dont makes the pc of others explode or eats their fs.

You get then feedback as return and in this case even some money, at
least you get more users for shure.

But we did see in the past that some companies used the statement that
they wanna open it up as trick to make some people buy it and use it and
vendor lockin into it.

I dont wanna be a dick or be not constructive, but it becomes harder
to belive that you meant what you said about your intentions to release
it less day by day.

Well I dont care much anymore, had some owncloud / simpletask cloudness
solution setup, which was at least good enough to see todo lists on
android, but at the moment thats not so much of a priority of me to have
at all.

But sorry there might be other reasons like no time or something, but
hiding bad code is no real reason at best a excuse to not release source
code. Sorry I dont buy that.

Its just a bit funny people that use emacs will be 90% very sensitive
about the lisense/code question. So I cant even imagine that it makes
much sense moneywise to make it impossible for 90% of your users to use
that software.

I get that argument by other software targeted to the avarage user, but
in this case its just a loose-loose situation.