From: Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
To: John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: transcluding some org-elements in multiple places
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:28:16 +0000	[thread overview]

On Friday,  9 Dec 2016 at 15:29, John Kitchin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an idea for how I could transclude "copies" or links to

[...]

> Any thoughts? Do you see any potential issues?

Potentially very interesting and useful idea.  Some thoughts/issues:

- not sure about the name but that's just æsthetics...

- can I link to a transcluded headline?  i.e. [[#localheadline]]

- what about more than level of indirection: link to a trancluded
  headline which transcludes to another etc.  What is shown?  Is there a
  performance hit?

- definitely not sure about the name... ;-)

- what happens if the destination moves or gets deleted?  the link to
  it, which looked like something "complete" is now meaningless.  This
  could be quite confusing.  This is probably the most serious issue.

- the table aspect is almost a "view" on a database which is really
  appealing but would benefit from a fully defined syntax a la sql?
  Would table formulas work as expected from the view of the contents?

- maybe view: as the link type?

- could we have "read-only" views?  I may not want the original touched.

- how does an export work?  On the view or the actual contents?

That's it for the moment based on stream of consciousness thinking!

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 26.0.50.1, Org release_9.0.1-49-ga43eac