Nicolas Goaziou writes: [...] > Samuel Wales writes: > >> i was referring to: >> >> Message ID <87v9dbelky.fsf@gmail.com> >> >> in this thread. >> >> [and other posts in this thread related to it.] > > Unfortunately, I won't have time to look at the whole thread anytime > soon. However, feel free to explain how "tec's fix" works, or point me > to the exact post where it is explained so I can understand it. > >> the problem as i see it is link stability in generated output. > > The links are stable if you publish a document. Note that you can even > "publish" a single document. > > For exported (i.e., one off documents), this is not so an issue (IMO) > since you have custom ID. I assume this was evoked in the thread. I think you are both talking about the same thing but have different judgment calls about it. Say you want to export an org file, then share the link to a friend to a heading, like https://mysite/#orgd260798 Imagine that for some reason, you re export the file, then new ids are generated and the links becomes broken. Nicolas Goaziou, I know you understand this and propose to use CUSTOM_ID to make those ids static. But IIUC, Samuel Wales does not know in advance what heading he will share, so he would have to add CUSTOM_ID everywhere, just in case. This sounds like a lot of unnecessary work. The solution of tec¹ appears to be a new generation of the html ids based on the heading content rather than apparently randomly generated, making the generated link become the same across new generations. I hope it clarified the discussion. My best, ¹ https://tecosaur.github.io/emacs-config/config.html#nicer-generated-heading -- Konubinix GPG Key : 7439106A Fingerprint: 5993 BE7A DA65 E2D9 06CE 5C36 75D2 3CED 7439 106A