From: "Juan Manuel Macías" <maciaschain@posteo.net>
To: leo <orgmode@halloleo.hailmail.net>
Cc: orgmode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Write Markdown in Org mode
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 12:35:32 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi Leo,

leo writes:

> Hi there
>
> I write a lot of Markdown notes. At the moment I use Melpa’s markdown-mode, but I am considering switching to Org mode.
>
> But I’m not sure whether Org mode supports this. In the manual I found an option to *export* to Markdown, but I planning to *write* the notes directly as Markdown.
>
> Is this possible with Org mode?
>
> Many thanks!

I do not know the characteristics or the contexts of your workflow, but
seen the case from the outside, from what you comment I would say that
it would not have a lot of sense for you to write your Org docs in
Markdown, since Org is also a lightweight markup language, but much more
powerful than Markdown. Org mode is intended to write in Org syntax.

I started writing my notes in Markdown, and when I migrated to Org, I
converted all my old Markdown notes to Org via pandoc.

Anyway, inside an Org document you can write Markdown using a source
block:

#+begin_src markdown
your text in markdown...
#+end_src

If you do C-c ' inside the block, you can edit it in another buffer with
the markdown mode activated[1].

You can also generate a * .md file from that block (see
https://orgmode.org/manual/Extracting-Source-Code.html):

#+begin_src markdown :tangle my-file.md
your text in markdown...
#+end_src