Hi Eric, >> text >> 1+1=3 >> text >> >> is a single paragraph in LaTeX. > This is true and probably the most convincing argument in this debate. I can’t help but think that this line of thinking is a bit of a trap, because what LaTeX’s idea of a paragraph does not line up with Org’s. I think the more pertinent consideration is that `\[ ... \]' changes LaTeX into vertical mode, which does not allow for any other content on the ’line’ — which is far closer to Org’s concept of a block element than an inline element. Frankly, I think the issue is that the semantics of `\[ ... \]' simply don’t play well with Org. Unfortunately, due to the Org/LaTeX difference I don’t see any ideologically “pure” way we can have it in Org. The most idiomatic solution would be to just remove support for `\[ ... \]' *. Otherwise, we have to treat `\[ ... \]' specially in if we want ’sensible’ behaviour — as I mention in my reply to Nicolas, we’re already parsing it differently to other inline markup… All the best, Timothy * However, I am not advocating for this: There’s both the obvious comparability issue, but I also rather like using `\[ ... \]' myself.