* org-fold problems
@ 2022-05-06 13:39 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-06 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I am seeing very strange and somewhat frustrating behaviour with the new
org-fold implementation.  I have not been able to determine the exact
conditions leading to the problem but some subtrees cannot be revealed
by either org-cycle or org-fold-reveal and act as if the have no content
(even when they do).  However, the content can be revealed if I search
for some text, text I know is in the hidden content.

I'm busy with a deadline so cannot do more investigation at this point.

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga, with org release_9.5.3-472-gd2a459 in Emacs 29.0.50

* Re: org-fold problems
@ 2022-05-07  5:30 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-07  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am seeing very strange and somewhat frustrating behaviour with the new
> org-fold implementation.  I have not been able to determine the exact
> conditions leading to the problem but some subtrees cannot be revealed
> by either org-cycle or org-fold-reveal and act as if the have no content
> (even when they do).  However, the content can be revealed if I search
> for some text, text I know is in the hidden content.
>
> I'm busy with a deadline so cannot do more investigation at this point.

While you are at the deadline, feel free to switch org-fold-core-style
back to overlays.

If you get some time and encounter the described issue, can you try to
run M-: (setq org-fold-core-first-unfold-functions nil) and try
org-reveal again?

Best,
Ihor

* Re: org-fold problems
@ 2022-05-07  8:47   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-07  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ihor,

On Saturday,  7 May 2022 at 13:30, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> While you are at the deadline, feel free to switch org-fold-core-style
> back to overlays.

Thank you.  I should have done that (had I thought if it ;-)) but
deadline met in any case.  Next time.

> If you get some time and encounter the described issue, can you try to
> run M-: (setq org-fold-core-first-unfold-functions nil) and try
> org-reveal again?

Okay.  I cannot replicate the problem with the file I had problems with
yesterday (the file has obviously changed in the meantime) but will do
so when/if it arises again.

On a related matter, I typically use vc-ediff for comparing the current
working copy of a file and the last committed version.  This used to
expand the file completely (assuming I'm remembering correctly) but now
(some?) drawers are not opened so if there are differences inside a
drawer, I cannot see them via ediff.  Does this make sense?  If so, is
there something I should customise to have *everything* opened when
using ediff?

Thanks again,
eric

--

@ 2022-05-08  7:25     ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-08  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On a related matter, I typically use vc-ediff for comparing the current
> working copy of a file and the last committed version.  This used to
> expand the file completely (assuming I'm remembering correctly) but now
> (some?) drawers are not opened so if there are differences inside a
> drawer, I cannot see them via ediff.  Does this make sense?  If so, is
> there something I should customise to have *everything* opened when
> using ediff?

I suspect the same issue. If you try
M-: (setq org-fold-core-first-unfold-functions nil)
before doing ediff and it helps, then I will know the culprit.

Note that I tried to run ediff-buffers on Org buffers and everything
remains folded with stable Org 9.5 as well.

Best,
Ihor

* Re: org-fold problems
@ 2022-05-09 12:40       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday,  8 May 2022 at 15:25, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
> I suspect the same issue. If you try
> M-: (setq org-fold-core-first-unfold-functions nil)
> before doing ediff and it helps, then I will know the culprit.

It doesn't; sorry.  With this set to nil, all drawers are closed on
ediff although all normal content is visible.

This is with both emacs and org up to date from git as of a few minutes
ago.

> Note that I tried to run ediff-buffers on Org buffers and everything
> remains folded with stable Org 9.5 as well.

That has not been my experience.  I think... but cannot verify.  I do
use drawers a lot and differences are often in them for the type of
document I was working on last week.

With ediff, we need the documents being compared to be completely
expanded in general.

Thank you,
eric

--

@ 2022-05-11 11:03         ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-05-11 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Note that I tried to run ediff-buffers on Org buffers and everything
>> remains folded with stable Org 9.5 as well.
>
> That has not been my experience.  I think... but cannot verify.  I do
> use drawers a lot and differences are often in them for the type of
> document I was working on last week.
>
> With ediff, we need the documents being compared to be completely
> expanded in general.

I understand the issue. However, I do not fully understand why you get
the documents fully unfolded. Can you create a reproducible example that
shows how to compare to Org buffers/files and get them unfolded using an
earlier Org version from emacs -Q?

Best,
Ihor