* Re: structure editing in brainstorming mode
       [not found] <200812291702.mBTH2sVD004384@bp34.u.washington.edu>
@ 2008-12-29 19:44 ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-12-29 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* bugs in C-*
       [not found] <200812291702.mBTH2sVD004384@bp34.u.washington.edu>
@ 2008-12-29 19:57 ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-12-29 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just discovered the very handy C-* function -- I've been converting
lists to headlines manually!   But I also discovered a couple of bugs:

If I select a region containing a plain list and then type C-*, org mode
adds the leading stars but doesn't remove the plain list symbols, for
example, this:

  * headline
    - list 1
    - list 2

is converted to this:

* headline
*** - list 1
*** - list 2

Also, if I'm at the end of a file so that the region can't be extended
beyond the end of the last item in the list, then that item isn't
converted.  In other words, I get this:

* headline
*** - list 1
  - list 2

Thanks,

Scott

* Re: structure editing in brainstorming mode
@ 2008-12-29 20:10   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-29 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On 12/29/2008 9:00 AM, Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> wrote:
>
>     <...>
>     "Rustom Mody" <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:
>
>     <..>
>
>         2. Converting heading type
>
>     C-c - or S-<left>/<right> should do the trick.
>
> This does replace '+' or whatever with '*' but it doesn't add the leading
> stars, turning a list into a heading.  But C-* does the trick.

Thanks for alerting me to this. I had been using C-c - and then
something like C-u - 5 C-x TAB to get rid of the white space to create
1st level headings.

C-* looks to be much more efficient!

There's always something new to learn about org-mode! I updated the
FAQ accordingly. (The new explanation should show up in an hour and a
half.)

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.php#convert-plain-lists-to-headlines

Regards,

Matt

* Re: bugs in C-*
@ 2008-12-29 20:13   ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-29 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> writes:

> I just discovered the very handy C-* function -- I've been converting
> lists to headlines manually!   But I also discovered a couple of bugs:
>
> If I select a region containing a plain list and then type C-*, org
> mode adds the leading stars but doesn't remove the plain list symbols,
> for example, this:
>
>  * headline
>    - list 1
>    - list 2
>
> is converted to this:
>
> * headline
> *** - list 1
> *** - list 2

I can confirm this behavior. When using C-* on a single headline, the
plain list bullet is removed. When using C-* on a region of headlines,
the plain list bullets remain.

- Matt

* Re: bugs in C-*
@ 2008-12-29 20:19     ` Matthew Lundin
From: Matthew Lundin @ 2008-12-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: Scott Otterson, emacs-orgmode

Hi Scott,

Matthew Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> Scott Otterson <scotto@u.washington.edu> writes:
>
>> I just discovered the very handy C-* function -- I've been converting
>> lists to headlines manually!   But I also discovered a couple of bugs:
>>

> I can confirm this behavior. When using C-* on a single headline, the
> plain list bullet is removed. When using C-* on a region of headlines,
> the plain list bullets remain.

I believe we've incorrectly typed the keybinding for org-ctrl-c-star.
In the previous posts and subject line, "C-*" should be "C-c *".

Best,
Matt

* Re: bugs in C-*
@ 2008-12-29 20:27       ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2008-12-29 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Lundin; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Yup, it's C-c *.  Thanks for updating the FAQ so quickly!

Scott

On 12/29/2008 12:19 PM, Matthew Lundin wrote:
> <...>
> I believe we've incorrectly typed the keybinding for org-ctrl-c-star.
> In the previous posts and subject line, "C-*" should be "C-c *".
>
> Best,
> Matt

* Re: bugs in C-*
@ 2009-01-21 17:43   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2009-01-21 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Otterson; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

following this thread,  I have revisited the commands
`C-c -' and `C-c *' and hope that they are now better
behaved and more useful:

   If there is an active region, these commands will act on the
   region, otherwise on the current line.

   C-c -
       This command turns headings or normal lines into
       items, or items into normal lines.  When there is a
       region, everything depends on the first line of the
       region:
        - if it is a item, turn all items in the region into
          normal lines.
        - if it is a headline, turn all headlines in the region
          into items.
        - if it is a normal line, turn all lines into items.
        - special case: if there is no active region and the
          current line is an item, cycle the bullet type of the
          current list.

    C-c *
        This command turns items and normal lines into
        headings, or headings into normal lines.  When there is
        a region, everything depends on the first line of the
        region:
        - if it is a item, turn all items in the region into
          headlines.
        - if it is a headline, turn all headlines in the region
          into normal lines.
        - if it is a normal line, turn all lines into headlines.

I hope these commands a now more consistent and better.

- Carsten

On Dec 29, 2008, at 8:57 PM, Scott Otterson wrote:

> I just discovered the very handy C-* function -- I've been
> converting lists to headlines manually!   But I also discovered a
> couple of bugs:
>
> If I select a region containing a plain list and then type C-*, org
> mode adds the leading stars but doesn't remove the plain list
> symbols, for example, this:
>
> * headline
>  - list 1
>  - list 2
>
> is converted to this:
>
> * headline
> *** - list 1
> *** - list 2
>
> Also, if I'm at the end of a file so that the region can't be
> extended beyond the end of the last item in the list, then that item
> isn't converted.  In other words, I get this:
>
> * headline
> *** - list 1
> - list 2
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

* Re: bugs in C-*
@ 2009-01-22 22:08     ` Scott Otterson
From: Scott Otterson @ 2009-01-22 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Thanks, Carsten.

Not only is this a bug fix, it's a nice improvement that increases
consistency with other org operations.  I think it's fine touches like
this that make org mode so intuitive.

Scott